Coffee spill on Macbook question.

To start off. Hi, Im Chris, and Im new here. Ive come with a problem.

So, a early yesterday, I spilled a small amount of iced coffee on my macbook model a1342. By small amount, I mean that I was getting up to dump out the last 1/2" of ice/coffee mixture, and dropped it. Probably a tablespoon at most of liquid. I turned it off, and flipped it upside down, with the back off to dry. Today, it wouldnt turn on, so I brought it in to the apple store. They got it to turn on, but the keyboard is toast. It doesnt send the right commands when I hit most of the keys. The computer seems to be working fine though.

Now for my question. Im assuming I need an upper case replacement. Does that sound right? Im going on the assumption that the power button is part of the upper case.

When I pulled the bottom cover off, I didnt see any coffee. How likely is it that no coffee got under the upper case? Do you think any problems Im going to have would have shown up by now, or could ,my logic board be moments away from dying a fiery death?

Would the replacement be doable by myself? Im a novice at computer repairs, but very mechanically capable. I repair my own car (correctly), and have some experience with small electronics in guitar effects pedals. Im just not too used to the idea of a phillips screwdriver smaller than a #2. Lol. I think I could do it, but I dont know if there are any surprises waiting for me.

Thanks for reading.

You could check out the sticky right above your post. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ow-thread.html

What did they suggest at the Apple store?

I had looked at that. I don't want to turn it off again though because the power button won't work to turn it back on.

The Apple store was of no help. They said my keys were sticky, and didn't work(oh, really now?) and that water damage repair was $755. Even if I had that money, I wouldn't spend it repairing a 2 year old, discontinued computer.

Specs:
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    Expensive lesson, that. For your next machine may I suggest one of the dozens of different keyboard covers? Amazon's at $8 each live on my MBP, and two MBAs.

Well, good news, and bad news. I took the logic board out, and it didnt have any coffee on it. None made it through to the disk drive either. Just some dust, which promptly got blown away.

However, I had to short the board to turn it back on. Oh well, I can live with replacing the upper case a lot easier than replacing the logic board.

Anyone know where to get an upper case cheap? Also, anything I should look for in a tri-wing screw driver?

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Anyone know where to get an upper case cheap? Also, anything I should look for in a tri-wing screw driver?
    eBay. The screwdriver can be found at Lowes or Home Depot tool center or from the folks at ifixit.com. By the way, you might want to use the step by step guides at ifixit to replace the upper case.

Home Depot? Really? I guess Ill have to go check it out.

And I was planning to use their guide. I used it to remove the logic board earlier. I wish repair manuals I use for cars were half as complete.

Thanks.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by AmCl View Post
    Home Depot? Really? I guess Ill have to go check it out.
    Here's a screwdriver set from Home Depot that includes tri-wing bits:

Magnetic Screwdriver with 32 Bit Set-32510 at The Home Depot

This was from Home Depot.com. If you visit a store...maybe they have more of a selection.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Not everyone can afford to buy a new system though. And it appears his can be fixed with a new top case and some do it yourself repairs.

Thread Information