New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

crucial ssd for mbp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slats206

slats206 is on a distinguished road

I've just bought a crucial ssd that comes with a data transfer kit consisting of a usb lead and data cloning cd. Is it sensible to use the cd as it comes from the ssd manufacturer, or would it be better to clean install from bootable dvd?
QUOTE Thanks
slats206

slats206 is on a distinguished road

Thanks,

Just to check, to clean install whilst ssd is still external

Conect ssd via usb, load dvd then restart mac? Hold option key and select ssd when given the option?

Once ive done this, then use migration assiss to transfer apps etc.

I want to have the ssd fully configured prior to opening up my mbp

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats206 View Post
Thanks,

Just to check, to clean install whilst ssd is still external

Conect ssd via usb, load dvd then restart mac? Hold option key and select ssd when given the option?

Once ive done this, then use migration assiss to transfer apps etc.

I want to have the ssd fully configured prior to opening up my mbp

Cheers
It is easy to use carbon copy clone, clone to ssd externally, test SSD by holding option key while restart, if it works switch the drives, this way you know the ssd works, without
opening up your mbp.
And using the osx installer same routine holds option key while restart, install osx to internal SSD drive, you should be in business.
A piece of hint if you have Mountain lion to clone, CCC will charge you, if you have Lion in the internal drive will be free. Another words clone with Lion osx will be free on regular drive, install the ML osx on the ssd when it becomes internal.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac book pro screen | CD/DVD reader player for MacBook »