New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Power

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Woodguy

Woodguy is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.

This is my first post & am new here so forgive me if this question has been asked hundreds of times.

Quite new to Apple, got an IPad 2 last year (first apple product) & love it. Decided soon after that I was going to change to all apple.

First step was changing my old Dell to a new 13" Air. My question is do I leave it hooked up to the mains all the time or run it off the battery then charge when flat ? It will be mainly sitting on the breakfast bar in the kitchen at all times.

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The charger of notebooks is smart enough to not continually charge the battery once it's reached full capacity such that you are running of mains at that point. However, in my experience, not going through a discharge/charge cycle will do a couple of things. 1) Throw off the calibration of internal battery gauge such that it won't be able to properly tell you how much capacity you have and will require you to go through a calibration cycle and 2) cause the battery to become lethargic (but this usually takes a long time) such that it won't hold a nice enough charge for any length of time.

I use my laptop at work plugged in ALL the time and when I got my laptop brand new, the battery would work for about 2.5 hours without any problems. A year or so later, it would hold a charge for about an hour and then recently it would hold it for about 10 minutes and died completely..

So my suggestion is that you use the notebook like a notebook and charge it when you reach some lower battery capacity.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Dodgy-diver

Dodgy-diver is on a distinguished road

That would concern me that after only a year the battery is only half as good as it was
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy-diver View Post
That would concern me that after only a year the battery is only half as good as it was
Well yeah, but since the work laptop is a Dell, I am not surprised at all and this is not the first time it's happened.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Dodgy-diver

Dodgy-diver is on a distinguished road

Oh I assumed you where talking about a mac
My mistake
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD Macbook Pro Battery Issue | Replacing HD in iBook PowerPC G3 »