New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Problem replacing hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whatevs22

whatevs22 is on a distinguished road

I wrote a couple days ago that the hard drive crashed on my macbookpro, so went out today and picked up a new one. It's this drive:
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10TPVT 1TB 5200 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I put in the new drive and booted my mac using the install CD that came with my computer, but I am having difficulty formatting the drive. When I go to create a single 1.0 TB partition, it gives me this error:

"POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory".

I have tried both erasing the drive AND trying to make a single partitian to be able to re-install OSx. For erasing or partitioning it gets past the "unmounting hard drive" stage. It seems like the hard drive won't unmount for it to be reformatted.

After it gives one error, the disc utility says
"S.M.A.R.T status: not supported"

Am I doing something wrong?

It's a mid-2010 13-inch MacBookPro, and I am trying to install the same version of OSX that came with my computer (I am pretty sure its Leopard)
QUOTE Thanks
whatevs22

Ok, when I boot up my mac from a version of OSX I installed on an external drive, it tells me that the hard drive is not readable by this computer.

Does this mean that I can't use a hard drive this big?
QUOTE Thanks
whatevs22

Thanks for your answer. I ended up taking it back in the end (twice, actually). The first time the person at Future Shop put the drive into their laptop and formatted it and it worked fine for them, but when I brought it home the 1 TB drive had a 125 GB partition with 0 bytes free that would not mount and was formatted MS-DOS FAT... even though I saw him format it properly. The drive had also labelled itself "media" even though he never gave it a name

Truly bizarre. I ended up just ordering the same model as my old hard drive since I know it works in my computer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SIL and SMS problem question. | Should I keep an old iBook clamshell in sleep mode? »