New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Fan for Macbook 1,1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raymond82

raymond82 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a Macbook 1,1 which has worked really well the last 6 years. Unfortunately the fan broke a couple of days ago. I would like to try to replace the fan myself, if it works I'm happy and if somehow I screw things up I guess I'll just have to finally upgrade to a new Macbook pro.

However, I've been searching on ebay for the right fan bu I don't really find it, could anyone tell me which model fan I need for this type of macbook?

Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'd start on the iFixit site
Mac Parts - iFixit

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
raymond82

Thank you, that's a very nice website!

Now would it be stupid to order it from ebay for a fraction of the price? (Not sure if that's an appropriate question to ask here, I wouldn't want to offend people...)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not at all. Just make sure you're getting the correct fan as it can be a real pain returning items purchased on eBay.
QUOTE Thanks
raymond82

Thank you, I'm gonna go for it and order it now!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond82 View Post
Thank you, that's a very nice website!

Now would it be stupid to order it from ebay for a fraction of the price? (Not sure if that's an appropriate question to ask here, I wouldn't want to offend people...)
Like "chscag" mentioned...not stupid at all to get the part via e-Bay if you can get it for less $$$. But also like "chscag" mentioned...in some cases it can be difficult to purchase the CORRECT part via e-Bay...since not all sellers are SUPER good at properly identifying the parts.

So even though the part looks correct...it may have small differences. So just be very very careful where/whom you buy from (e-Bay). If something isn't clear...ask questions. And if you don't get satisfactory answers for the seller (such as "I don't know")...then ask if you're able to return the part if it doesn't fit.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
raymond82

Thank you for the advice, in the end I relied on the type number I found on iFixit and found an ebay item that specified the same item number. Maybe I should have read a bit more reviews but usually my experience with ebay is quite good so I'm hoping for the best now! Looking forward to receiving it and opening up the macbook!
QUOTE Thanks
raymond82

Hello again!

Last weekend I opened my macbook up and found that the fan was full of dust. I removed the dust and reassembled the macbook but now my keyboard and trackpad are not working anymore... The on/off button, however, is still working fine.

Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong? Could it be that I broke the cable? But then why does the on/off still work?

Thank you very much!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong? Could it be that I broke the cable? But then why does the on/off still work?
I believe they're separate. But you probably did damage the ribbon cable when you took the case apart. On a machine that old the ribbon cable is going to be real brittle from the heat and easily damaged.
QUOTE Thanks
raymond82

Thanks for your reply, I wondered because in ifixit it said that the on/off button, the keypad and the keyboard were led through the same cable. Anyway I believe you're right, maybe I damaged it in a weird way and the button was spared. The computer is otherwise working perfectly fine, I'll order a new cable!

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mic/Line in? | Audio not working »