New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Getting a used MacBook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ellenmac

ellenmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod

I am buying a 13 inch MacBook pro from a friend. 2010 model. My question is how do we reset it to its original factory settings. He has no installation disc. I have a back up drive for my iMac on a external hard drive, can we use that? Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Postoak

Postoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5", 3.33Ghz Intel, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb HD, / White MacBook, 2.4Ghz Intel, 2Gb Ram, 160Gb HD

That is like buying a friends car that doesn't have a title to it... I wouldn't buy it.

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postoak View Post
That is like buying a friends car that doesn't have a title to it... I wouldn't buy it.
Ohh come on...that's not even close to a good analogy. A used computer without an OS install disk is nothing like a used car missing a title.

All the OP has to do (if this computer is purchased)...is call Apple and order an OS install disk...or buy one off e-Bay.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

To protect yourself even more, get a new hard drive and you can get a clone of the drive in the mbp you are going to buy and sweep the drives. And install the Mountain lion osx to the new mbp, this way you are worry free.
In hind sight friend will not let friend down.
QUOTE Thanks
ellenmac

Thank you all. I am also sure that this friend does not let me down.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Just buy a new copy of OS X then you can restore it... call apple they sent me a free copy of snow leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
ellenmac

It is all good guys. Got the laptop today . Put on Mountain Lion over snow leopard works a treat.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Re-installing Mac software to a new HD | MBP doesnt recognize my internal HD. But will boot from it when connected to USB! »