MBP13m2012 Surgery - final weight
    All surgeries on my MBP 13" mid 2012 are complete:

a). Replaced stock mirrored display with matte display (TechRestore).
    b). Upgraded memory from 8GB to 16GB from OWC (and sold the original 8GB for $30).
    c). Removed optical drive.
    d). Installed an OWC data doubler, with the machine's stock 5400rpm 750gb drive.
    e). Installed an OWC Mercury Extreme 6G 480GB SSD (in original HD drive bay).

Ended up with just shy of 1.25TB of internal storage, but about a third of that is really fast performance. The goal is to use the SSD for my daily work, and the stock HD to store about 500GB of music, plus any graphics/pictures/movies, and as a easy way to backup my home directory (on the SSD) via SuperDuper, on a regular basis.

Machine's final weight is 0.5 oz. over stock weight listed in Apple's specs.

Just thought I would post that, in case anyone had interest.

What's the final cost for all the upgrades?

Specs:
    16Gb Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Congrats on having a really sweet machine!
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PapaVBnMomo View Post
    What's the final cost for all the upgrades?
    Um....I dunno. Let me added it up here:

MBP13m2012 w/8GB RAM, 750GBHD: $1399
    AppleCare: $189
    SSD w/Data Doubler Kit: $699.99
    16GB Memory Upgrade: $163.99
    TechRestore Upgrade: $300.00 (including the shipping both ways)
    Sale of stock memory: -$30.00
    TOTAL: $2621.98

So, for the machine and its contents, the total is basically $2620.

For accessories, I also spent:
    $79.95: Brenthaven Prostyle II Bag
    $70.00: Herschel Heritage Computer Sleeve 13"
    $39.99: OWC CD Drive Enclosure
    $189.94: Total Accessories

Grand total for everything: $2,811.92.

The OWC CD enclosure is crap - don't buy it. The Brenthaven bag is really heavy and bulky and bigger than it needs to be for a 13". I wouldn't mind returning it, but I'm not sure I can find something better. The Herschel Heritage sleeve is perfect, although overpriced (rather significantly).

FWIW To get 15" Retina as close as possible in configuration, you'd need more like $3830 - for just the machine with warranty, and even then, it would fall short on disk space (but have some other benefits).

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Applecare probably wasn't worth it. I'd highly doubt they'll cover much if anything after that.

I'd recommend swapping your HDD and SSD around. The stock HDD location is cushioned, it has rubber mounts for the drive. The Opti-bay is hard bolted to the frame of the computer, so no cushion. For a rotational device, I'd highly recommend the cushioned location.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Applecare probably wasn't worth it. I'd highly doubt they'll cover much if anything after that.
    I wish I had it on my last computer. If I did, I would likely still be using it.

Grand total for everything: $2,811.92.

So more like 3 grand with taxes... Thx, I'm getting the same thing, so now I'll know how much to max it out....hopefully prices will go down cause I don't plan on upgrading until next year.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    I know that "anynamewilldo" originally purchased a 15" MacBook Pro...but returned it because the display lid was too loose/floppy. Then upgraded the 13" MacBook Pro exactly as wanted (especially the matte display & 16 gig of ram).

For me...if I'm going to spend over $2800 for a laptop computer (even with upgrades)...I gotta have dedicated graphics hardware (which unfortunately is not available with the 13" MacBook Pro).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I know that "anynamewilldo" originally purchased a 15" MacBook Pro...but returned it because the display lid was too loose/floppy.
    Well, that wasn't the only reason. I wanted the 13" from the beginning, but went with the 15" because of the matte display. The floppy lid wasn't the only reason for returning, it was just the final straw. The reasons include:

a). Too big.
    b). Too heavy.
    c). Hi-res display is nice, but makes text too small.
    d). Floppy lid.

For me...if I'm going to spend over $2800 for a laptop computer (even with upgrades)...I gotta have dedicated graphics hardware (which unfortunately is not available with the 13" MacBook Pro).
    Well, only about $2600 of that was for the computer - and I didn't HAVE to buy a new bag. I could have keep using the one I had.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaVBnMomo View Post
    So more like 3 grand with taxes...
    What taxes? I live in a GOOD state. No sales or income taxes here.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by anynamewilldo View Post
    Well, that wasn't the only reason. I wanted the 13" from the beginning, but went with the 15" because of the matte display. The floppy lid wasn't the only reason for returning, it was just the final straw. The reasons include:

a). Too big.
    b). Too heavy.
    c). Hi-res display is nice, but makes text too small.
    d). Floppy lid.
    I know that you had various reasons...I was listing the ones I could easily remember from memory. I respond to a lot of posts everyday from a lot of different members...and sometimes it's hard to keep every detail in my noggin!

Well, only about $2600 of that was for the computer - and I didn't HAVE to buy a new bag. I could have keep using the one I had.
    I actually didn't mean to include the accessories you purchased in my earlier post. I meant to use the $2600 figure...not the $2800.

In any case (for me)...if I was to spend $2600 on a laptop computer...it would be a must to have dedicated video hardware. Since the video hardware in a laptop is almost never upgradeable.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

It's not clear to me how much use I would get out of dedicated video. I don't play video games, so I dunno.

Specs:
    It's not clear to me how much use I would get out of dedicated video. I don't play video games, so I dunno.
    I know what you're saying...it's hard to know if & when dedicated graphics comes into play.

But you never know what future hardware requirements will be for applications or an OS upgrade. Heck...who knew a few years ago (or even 1 year ago), that Apple would have a video hardware requirement for an OS upgrade...like with OS 10.8.

And I think many folks can change their interests over time. Even if gaming isn't one of those changes...maybe someone will really get into digital photography (Photoshop), video editing (home videos), graphics, etc.

I know one of your reasons for getting a 13" MacBook Pro was the lower weight & footprint. I usually only recommend getting a 13" computer if a person's goals are lower weight, smaller footprint, and/or a lower/lowest cost laptop.

If a 13" MacBook Pro came with a dedicated video hardware...the new laptop purchasing choice would be very easy for some folks. But this is probably the very reason Apple doesn't offer dedicated video hardware in the 13" MBP. They want someone to "upgrade" to the 15"...and of course...with no dedicated video hardware...the 13" MBP's price can be kept lower.

Basically...the 13" MacBook Pro is a "relabeled" MacBook. It really made no sense for Apple to have both a 13" MacBook and a 13" MacBook Pro...when the only real difference was the composition of the external case (plastic vs. metal).

Apple almost since the very beginning with Mac's (1984)...has never made buying a new computer easy. They almost always leave out 1 or 2 desirable features in a lower end model...that almost forces someone to upgrade to a higher-end model...and spending more $$$ (which is the way Apple likes it)!!!

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    And I think many folks can change their interests over time. Even if gaming isn't one of those changes...maybe someone will really get into digital photography (Photoshop), video editing (home videos), graphics, etc.
    I dunno seems to work pretty well for those purposes (:

If a 13" MacBook Pro came with a dedicated video hardware...the new laptop purchasing choice would be very easy for some folks. But this is probably the very reason Apple doesn't offer dedicated video hardware in the 13" MBP. They want someone to "upgrade" to the 15"...and of course...with no dedicated video hardware...the 13" MBP's price can be kept lower.
    And that's the thing. If they would have made it an option, I would have gotten that option. Same for a matte display. Apple easily could have gotten another $600 out of me for this machine (another 35-40% or so), if they had just made those options available.

They almost always leave out 1 or 2 desirable features in a lower end model...that almost forces someone to upgrade to a higher-end model...and spending more $$$ (which is the way Apple likes it)!!!
    But it comes at the expense of giving people what they want. Again, Apple COULD have made the extra money - if they had put the features I wanted in the 13". Instead, what did they get? They got someone to buy a 15" and then return it, at a cost to them, in exchange for a machine priced about $800 less . That's obviously not a reasonable outcome for them.

Specs:
    I dunno seems to work pretty well for those purposes (:
    Yes...the integrated graphics may work well for many things. But they don't include dedicated graphics/video hardware on other models for nothing...it certainly is good for something. You simply may not have those needs...or aren't pushing the computer very hard. Which is perfectly fine.

That SSD you have in it may make it seem faster as well...since file swaps from the HD are much faster (assuming the SSD is your boot drive). And that 16gig ram upgrade certainly would eliminate any slowdowns due to inadequate ram.

The basic specs of this 13" MBP (other than the ram upgrade), may be EXACTLY what you need for your computing tasks...thus no reason to spend additional money on anything more!

- Nick

Thread Information