New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Overheating Solution?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mekmek

mekmek is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

When I use my Macbook for the long time (more than 2 hours), it generates heat and it is very hot, so that when I touch my finger on my Macbook (left side of the Macbook), it hurts my finger.

I think the temperature is about 60-70 Celcius.

Is there any method to decrease the temperature of the Macbook by using a cooler like most notebook does?

Also, I notice that my Macbook do not use a cooling fan, please cmiiw.

I check it by seeing the bottom part of my Macbook.

Note that this is my second Macbook after my first Macbook is totally dead.

Thank you

Me
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

That is not overheating. As I write this, mine is 64 degrees C. Fans haven't even come on and yes, all three of my MacBooks have fans.
QUOTE Thanks
mekmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
That is not overheating. As I write this, mine is 64 degrees C. Fans haven't even come on and yes, all three of my MacBooks have fans.
If it is not called by the overheat, may I know what it called?

Also, can you please tell me where the location/position of the Macbook fans is?

Because when I see the bottom part of my Macbook, I was not able to find any fans because everything is closed by the case.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekmek View Post
If it is not called by the overheat, may I know what it called?
It's called a warm MacBook...what else would it be called???

60-70 C is not really abnormal...we get folks with temps of 80C, 90C, and higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekmek View Post
Also, can you please tell me where the location/position of the Macbook fans is?

Because when I see the bottom part of my Macbook, I was not able to find any fans because everything is closed by the case.
The fan is inside the computer...you cannot see it without taking the computer apart.

Also...your computer cannot be getting that hot...since if it was REALLY getting HOT...you would be able to hear the fan running at high rpm's (it's VERY obvious...you wouldn't be able to miss it).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mekmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Also...your computer cannot be getting that hot...since if it was REALLY getting HOT...you would be able to hear the fan running at high rpm's (it's VERY obvious...you wouldn't be able to miss it).

- Nick
Why you are not believe me?

I am saying the truth.

I do not measure it (the temperature) using any equipment or a help of software.

I just guessing it because when I hold my hand on the surface, it hurts my hand.

It is not on the left side of my Macbook but the entire surface around the keyboard.

Also, I was not able to hear anything related to the fans.

Please trust me.

Btw, my Macbook is not the Pro one.

Like I was said, this is my second Macbook.

My first Macbook is totally dead.

The serviceman said the motherboard is dead.

So, I am afraid it will happened again to my current Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You can look at iFixit for fan location. Depending on your MacBook the one or two fans are located at the back of the Mac behind the vent that runs along the base of the screen.

If a particular are of your Mac is getting hot it will correspond to the CPU, GPU or hard disk.

I suspect all is 'normal' as you've been advised but open up Activity Monitor and ssort on CPU usage and see if something is heavily using the processor.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
It's called a warm MacBook...what else would it be called???

60-70 C is not really abnormal...we get folks with temps of 80C, 90C, and higher.

The fan is inside the computer...you cannot see it without taking the computer apart.

- Nick
Lol, I think the OP doesn't mean "called" but "caused".
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezi View Post
Lol, I think the OP doesn't mean "called" but "caused".
You may very well be right...and that certainly would make a difference in the meaning of the OP's post...and how folks respond to it!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mekmek

I am sorry very much because actually my Macbook is the Pro one.

The previous is also the Pro one.

However, it is neither using a graphic card nor retina display.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

Is it possible the OP's MacBook is running hot because his fans are not turning on?

He says he's estimating the temperature, not measuring it with, for instance, iStat.

Just a thought.

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Is it possible the OP's MacBook is running hot because his fans are not turning on?

He says he's estimating the temperature, not measuring it with, for instance, iStat.

Just a thought.
If the fans didn't run at all, it would turn itself off within seconds of being turned on.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

^^I did not know that.

Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
^^I did not know that.

Thanks.
The fans inside a laptop are always running. From my experience...they seem to run at roughly about three different speed levels:

- slow speed, about 1600rpm, can hardly hear them
- medium speed, about 4000rpm, definitely can hear the fans
- high/max. speed, about 6000+rpm, the fans are screaming/very loud

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

I don't hear 'em until 3500-ish. My normal running temp produces 1990-2001 rpm fan speed (I never do anything except surf the internet and word process).

QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I don't think any computer would run longer than a minute without the fans being turned on.

Ibanezi
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD/DVD reader player for MacBook | Crazy Battery Drainage »