New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

First time purchase, Macbook Pro Retina Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Guardi

Guardi is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone

I will be buying my first Mac

I'm not sure which MacBook Pro with Retina Display configuration to go for and need some expert help

1) 2.3GHz - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD

2) 2.3GHz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD

3) 2.6GHz - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD

4) 2.6GHz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD

I will be using the computer for general browsing, some photoshop + web dev, watching videos, basic video editing, office work, server admin and running windows in VM.

I have a Ubuntu Server with 4TB of storage for storing my media.

Wanted to make sure I choose the right options so I can future proof for the next three years +

I'm really excited!
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

My choice would be 2.7 GZ processor, 16 GB memory. That assumes you need the retina screen. I do not as I use my 27" Apple monitor to work with my photos, the 15" screen on the lap top is too small for that in my humble opinion. Whatever is biggest, fastest today will not be so in a year or two and software will be developed for the speedier machines.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Buy the best you can afford, although I would take a larger SSD over a 300mhz speed increase personally.

Any of these machines will easily last you 3+ years. I have a 2010 MBP and I expect THAT to last another 3 years!

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Retina or MBP for long term value? | macbook pro ram problems »