New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2007 Macbook starts to boot, then black screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

K33P_UP63

K33P_UP63 is on a distinguished road

So i have a 2007 Macbook that i had this problem with about a year ago and now have actually started to take action to fix, but here it is.
I was using the computer on a daily basis and it always worked fine, then randomly one day it shut down. i figured the battery had died, so i let it charge for a few hours then went to turn it back on. I heard the HDD spin, and watched the screen turn on and heard the boot noise, gray screen with the apple and little spinning thing, then the screen goes black.
I tried multiple times, let it charge for nearly 24 hours straight to make sure it couldn't be battery, then let it sit. I picked it up yesterday and let it charge and tried to see if it would randomly start up, same issue. Pulled battery and re-seated RAM, tried a different battery, still nothing.
If I hold the Power button down for longer, the little sleep light flashes repeatedly very fast, then the computer holds a beep at me for a couple seconds then it starts to boot again, but same black screen after a few seconds. I cant find anything on this issue, does anybody here have any tips before i bring it to an Apple store? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33P_UP63 View Post
So i have a 2007 Macbook that i had this problem with about a year ago and now have actually started to take action to fix...
Well...better late than never I always say!

Quote:
I was using the computer on a daily basis and it always worked fine, then randomly one day it shut down.
This is usually the way things work. They work fine until they break. Many times there are no warning signs (especially with electronics).

Quote:
I heard the HDD spin, and watched the screen turn on and heard the boot noise, gray screen with the apple and little spinning thing, then the screen goes black.
The display, the display inverter, or a long shot...the display cable have gone bad. The only way to confirm this is...take to an Apple Store (but they will probably charge you $50-$100 to test it)...or they might do it for free if they are nice!

The other way is to purchase a good working replacement part (new or used)...replace the bad part...then see if the computer works.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
K33P_UP63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The display, the display inverter, or a long shot...the display cable have gone bad. The only way to confirm this is...take to an Apple Store (but they will probably charge you $50-$100 to test it)...or they might do it for free if they are nice!

The other way is to purchase a good working replacement part (new or used)...replace the bad part...then see if the computer works.

- Nick
Thanks, i have a friend that works at an apple store by me so i can talk to her and have her check it out, if that's all that's wrong with it that would be nice, i was worried something really bad could've for sure put it out of commission but thats not too bad.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Thanks, i have a friend that works at an apple store by me so i can talk to her and have her check it out, if that's all that's wrong with it that would be nice, i was worried something really bad could've for sure put it out of commission but thats not too bad.
If you have an external monitor...you can plug that into the MacBooks video out port...and operate it in "clamshell" mode:

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

If the MacBook operates normally in "Clamshell Mode"...then the troubles are probably confined to the display. But...this can still be an expensive repair...depending who does the work.

So if the computer works fine in clamshell mode...it still isn't time to start "dancing" in relief!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
K33P_UP63

Alright, i'll try that!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« while in sleep mode, do Macbook pro fans spin? | Parting out Macbook Pro »