New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

USB on macbook pro 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rundevilrun

rundevilrun is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a macbook pro 2011. I have transferred some pictures into my WD passport (macbook version) and brought it into a photography shop for digital printing today but the staff was unable to open the files (none of my files are viewable, since the operating system of the computers is windows, I assume)

However, when I got back, I quickly plugged in my external hard disk to check if any files are missing. After that, I tried to transfer the pictures into a USB pen drive, so that the pictures can be viewed at the shop for digital printing. The problem now starts, as the USB drive can only be READ only, which is strange, because I was still able to edit my files on the same USB drive before. (yesterday, same day etc)

I tried to erase that USB pen drive on disk utility but all options are greyed out.
What's wrong??

THanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

can you post a screenshot from disk utiliy?

I'd suggest you need to re-partition and format the pendrive by select the pendrive at 'disk' level not partition level

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
rundevilrun

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4...20806at110.png
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/426...20806at110.png
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4...20806at110.png
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/426...20806at110.png
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4...20806at110.png
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

With the drive selected (in your screenshot) go to the erase tab and select msdos fat as the format

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
rundevilrun

no I couldn't. All options are greyed out (refers to the screenshots), sorry that the images could not be viewd but I believe they can be now
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

What sort of flash drive do you have?

Does it have a write protect tab/switch?

QUOTE Thanks
rundevilrun

unfortunately no is there nothing that I can do about it?
I'm just really surprised how the USB pendrive becomes READ ONLY out of a sudden
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Do you have another machine you can try it in?

QUOTE Thanks
rundevilrun

ya I tried it on my brother's desktop (windows) but I also failed to reformat it because it is READ ONLY according to the warning message
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Then there's either a write protect switch or the device is failing

QUOTE Thanks
rundevilrun

okay, thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parting out Macbook Pro | Anybody know about retina Macbook Pro sales? »