New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My new hard drive isn't appearing on my macbook


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Arci

 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 8
Arci is on a distinguished road

Arci is offline
I have a new 2TB iomega hard drive. When I put it on my mac for the first time it appeared but i couldn't put my files on it, so i went to disc utility and reformatted the hard drive to work for a mac. This time I put my files on it and I wanted to make sure they were really there, so i ejected the hard drive removed it from my mac and turned the power off. I turned the power on again and plugged it in again but this time my drive didn't show up, not in the desktop, not in the side panel and not even in disk utility. So please help what should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,442
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
Quote:
This time I put my files on it and I wanted to make sure they were really there, so i ejected the hard drive removed it from my mac and turned the power off.
I'm not sure I understand why you removed the hard drive from the MacBook after you had it setup and ready? And you pulled the drive out while the power was on?

Quote:
I turned the power on again and plugged it in again but this time my drive didn't show up, not in the desktop, not in the side panel and not even in disk utility. So please help what should I do?
You turned the power on and then plugged the hard drive in? If that's really what you did, you may have zapped your new hard drive. You can't hot swap hard drives without damaging them.
QUOTE Thanks
Arci

 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 8
Arci is on a distinguished road

Arci is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you removed the hard drive from the MacBook after you had it setup and ready? And you pulled the drive out while the power was on?
I did that because I always to be sure so i did that


Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
you turned the power on and then plugged the hard drive in? If that's really what you did, you may have zapped your new hard drive. You can't hot swap hard drives without damaging them.
so does that mean i can't use my hard drive any more?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,442
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
Quote:
so does that mean i can't use my hard drive any more?
Well, if you pulled that drive out and then put it back in while the power was on, it's likely a dead drive now. There's delicate electronics on the drive. And no, you can't use a dead drive. Call iOmega and see if they will accept the drive back as a return and issue a RMA. I doubt they will RMA it since it was your fault the drive failed. But give them a call anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Arci

 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 8
Arci is on a distinguished road

Arci is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Well, if you pulled that drive out and then put it back in while the power was on, it's likely a dead drive now. There's delicate electronics on the drive. And no, you can't use a dead drive. Call iOmega and see if they will accept the drive back as a return and issue a RMA. I doubt they will RMA it since it was your fault the drive failed. But give them a call anyway.
Actually I unplugged it, turned it off, gave it about a minute, turned it on again then plugged it in, so it wasn't on the whole time, so is it really dead? and it still turns on
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,442
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
Like I said above, if you plugged that drive in or out while the power was on, it likely zapped the electronics on the drive. A good indication that it's dead is the fact that it doesn't mount and the system can't see it. Can you feel the drive while it's in the MacBook and tell if it's spinning? In other words, any vibration at all or sound from the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Arci

 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 8
Arci is on a distinguished road

Arci is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Like I said above, if you plugged that drive in or out while the power was on, it likely zapped the electronics on the drive. A good indication that it's dead is the fact that it doesn't mount and the system can't see it. Can you feel the drive while it's in the MacBook and tell if it's spinning? In other words, any vibration at all or sound from the drive?
yea, i can still feel it spinning. there are both vibration and sound
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,442
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
OK, maybe you got lucky and didn't destroy the drive. Make sure the drive is plugged in tight and sitting in the cavity. Also make sure the rubber spacers on either side of the drive did not come out of the cavity otherwise the drive will not line up correctly with the SATA connector.
QUOTE Thanks
Arci

 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 8
Arci is on a distinguished road

Arci is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OK, maybe you got lucky and didn't destroy the drive. Make sure the drive is plugged in tight and sitting in the cavity. Also make sure the rubber spacers on either side of the drive did not come out of the cavity otherwise the drive will not line up correctly with the SATA connector.
yea, i did that before but it stilll wouldn't show up
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

 
Member Since: Apr 24, 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 495
techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

techiesteve is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arci View Post
I have a new 2TB iomega hard drive. When I put it on my mac for the first time it appeared but i couldn't put my files on it, so i went to disc utility and reformatted the hard drive to work for a mac. This time I put my files on it and I wanted to make sure they were really there, so i ejected the hard drive removed it from my mac and turned the power off. I turned the power on again and plugged it in again but this time my drive didn't show up, not in the desktop, not in the side panel and not even in disk utility. So please help what should I do?
There may be some confusion here, this is an external drive? I suspect so, as Iomega only make external drives, not bare drives as Seagate, WD etc. Since the new drive didn't mount, have you tried it in another port on your Mac? Do you have a spare interface cable suitable for the drive?

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Arci

 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 8
Arci is on a distinguished road

Arci is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
There may be some confusion here, this is an external drive? I suspect so, as Iomega only make external drives, not bare drives as Seagate, WD etc. Since the new drive didn't mount, have you tried it in another port on your Mac? Do you have a spare interface cable suitable for the drive?
yea, it's an external drive and i tried it in both ports since my mac only has two. and no i don't have another cable
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,442
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
Quote:
There may be some confusion here, this is an external drive? I suspect so, as Iomega only make external drives, not bare drives as Seagate, WD etc.
Good catch Steve. For some reason, I thought we were dealing with an internal drive!
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

 
Member Since: Apr 24, 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 495
techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

techiesteve is offline
Based upon whats been reported here, it's more likely the new Iomega drive has died. The only reason I mentioned substituting the USB cable if you had access to a spare, was as some years ago I bought a couple of 500GB Lacie USB drives, and both cables failed within a week. They were thin and flimsy, more like bad eBay products. A final check would be to try mounting the drive on another Mac if you have access to one..

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,916
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
I was just going to say but Steve beat me to the punch. Iomega does not make nor sell internal hard drives. It's an External so doing what he did should have not hurt it UNLESS he shut it off without Un-mounting it first. Even then it should show in Disk Utility.

You are checking each time you plug it in under Disk Utility I take it?
QUOTE Thanks
Arci

 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 8
Arci is on a distinguished road

Arci is offline
yea, i've tried every port and still nothing and evey time i checkef disk utility and it wasn't there
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« macbook pro ram problems | Macbook internet problem »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Upgrading Macbook Pro Hard Drive Filletti Apple Notebooks 18 11-06-2012 07:45 PM
Internal Hard Drive Not Showing in Disk Utility - Macbook Pro 2007 bigideaguy OS X - Operating System 2 08-18-2012 11:18 PM
Should I replace my Macbook hard drive? monta Apple Notebooks 1 08-23-2011 12:11 PM
Turning Macbook hard drive into an external hard drive IJM Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 07-25-2011 06:18 PM
Airport Base Station-How reliable as network drive? What type of hard drive? markw10 Internet, Networking, and Wireless 0 01-16-2007 02:51 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?