New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

So I Upgraded To ML And Have Lost Most Of My Battery Capacity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VetteTec

VetteTec is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2011, 2.53 I5, 600gb Intel SSD, 8g ram, OS 10.8.2, 27" Display

I installed ML, the very next day I noticed my battery drained completely in about an hour and 45 min from a 100% charge. My user habits did not change, I did not install any new apps, this was an abrupt change in my MBP that happened immediately after the upgrade, not a gradual decrease over time. I never had battery issues before.

I called Apple, they said they were unaware of any battery issues. I of course had already been to the forums and had seen the reports from a multitude of users complaining about the same thing.

The tech had me reset the SMC and then reset the PRAM.

That did change things slightly, I gained aprox one more hour of battery time, however, no where near the 7-8 hours I normally would have on battery.

I called back yesterday and they recommended I go to the Genius Bar.

I did notice a new symptom this morning, my MBP feels like there is a cd running in the drive, in other words, when I place my hand on the machine, I feel a kind of vibration as if there were a disc in there running.This is new, never felt that before.

Fan speeds are normal (aprox 1950 rpm's on both) where they have always run.

CPU processes are normal, nothing standing out in the activity monitor.

My battery health has already gone down to 95% from 99% in just a few days. At this rate, in a matter of weeks, it seems my battery will be done.

MY PORTABLE MACHINE IS NOT PORTABLE ANY MORE !!!!

Has anyone out there actually resolved this issue?

I suspect this is going to be a huge problem for Apple, if your having this problem, you need to make Apple aware of it so they can quickly come up with a patch to fix it. I'm guessing the more complaints they get, the higher up the food chain will come the solution.

Thanks to All,
QUOTE Thanks
VetteTec

Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2011, 2.53 I5, 600gb Intel SSD, 8g ram, OS 10.8.2, 27" Display

I did make an appointment for the Genius bar today in about an hour.

Will keep you guys posted.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Its not just you, I believe Apple are looking into it

OS X Mountain Lion users reporting laptop battery life issues

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
VetteTec

The funny thing is, 3 phone calls to Apple and each tech said I was the first complaint they had heard of.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteTec View Post
The funny thing is, 3 phone calls to Apple and each tech said I was the first complaint they had heard of.
Please keep us posted on your appointment and what happens. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
VetteTec

Went to the Apple store, after running the diagnostics, they said my MBP was running with no hardware problem. The classic part of this was during the diagnostic cycle, you could literally watch the the battery percentage drop, in 20 minutes time, it dropped about 15%. There was no dispute that my machine has a problem. Bottom line, after it was all said and done, the resolution was that either I wait for an update, perform a clean install of ML, or a clean install of Lion. They would do it right there for me. I chose to do a clean install of Lion being that it was working just fine before the upgrade.

Since then, I have restored backup, and brought my machine back to where it was before the ML upgrade.

Bad news is, still have the battery problem. Just in the time it took to write this post, I dropped 12% of battery life !!!

So I guess I need a firmware update. Don't know, Apple doesn't know either.

Thumbs down for now.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

See Ars Technica story. Apple knows there is a problem, has no solution, is working on it.

Mountain Lion having mysterious effect on battery life for some users | Ars Technica
QUOTE Thanks
VetteTec

Since I have to wait for an update, and since my battery life is no better off right now with Lion, might as well wait with better OS and install ML again........
QUOTE Thanks
VetteTec

Thought I would update everyone, updated to 10.8.1 the other day, battery back to normal. I would even venture to say, it seems even better than before. THANKS APPLE !!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 6gb/s HDD and Thunderbolt | MACBOOK PRO (Early 2008) Crash/Freeze »