High-End PC or Low-End Mac
    Hello All,
    I have recently bought a HP DV6-7031tx with an i7-3610qm, 8GB RAM and a GT630m 2GB Graphics Card. I have been recently though exploring the possibilities of getting into a mac. Of course, budget is an issue as I am a student. I basically have two options, on gumtree at the moment, there is a Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15" model, with the 2.0ghz 2635qm for $1100. Or a brand new current gen 13" with the i5. The main use for it though is HD Video Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, and Photo Editing in Photoshop. The HP does pretty darn well on all of these. Will either of those Macbooks provide similar or better performance than my current laptop on those tasks?? I went into the local NextByte store and had the sales assistant tell me some rubbish... 'A mac will beat any PC'. Yeah, Right.

Theres probably lots of questions somewhere about this but I couldnt find them, also try to keep your mac fan-boyiness at bay. Don't tell me a mac is better because it has a backlit keyboard...

Thanks,
    Sam

EDIT: I would just get a new iMac and be done with it, but I need the portability for school.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Theres probably lots of questions somewhere about this but I couldnt find them, also try to keep your mac fan-boyiness at bay. Don't tell me a mac is better because it has a backlit keyboard...
    You're not going to get very many responses when you post things like that above. You're here in a very friendly Mac Forum not on usenet. So keep that in mind when you start a thread. OK?

Stick with your HP. It has plenty of power and will probably outperform some of the Macs you mentioned. The big difference is that Macs run OS X and the HP runs Windows 7. I like Windows 7 and use it on my PC but I like OS X better.

My suggestion to you is before you decide to buy a Mac - any Mac, go to an Apple store (not Best Buy) and sit there and try a few out. Then, compare them to your HP or any other PC that you're familiar with.

Sorry about that, I had been doing quite a bit of research this morning, and after finding not much I was a bit frustrated. I didn't intend to come across like that. The thing is however, in an Apple store they don't have Adobe CS programs on them for me to try out, I was hoping that someone on here will have used them with those programs and be able to provide some insight.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Adobe works fine on your Windows machine, so just stick with it and save $$$ having to repurchase all your software.

The software isn't an issue, I have a creative cloud subscription, I can re-download it for free on OSX.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Way back the hardware was totally different but since Apple went Intel, same chipsets, same CPUs, ETC. The only Benefit is OSX. That is why it was suggested you try OSX at an Apple store and make your decision based on that. I was not aware that Apple did not have Adobe products installed at the store for trial.

Im actaually in a smaller capital in Australia, we dont have an official Apple Store, there are some resellers though. In America there may be Apple stores with Adobe software installed. Im thinking that I'll just keep my current laptop. Unless something good comes up second-hand or just for my next upgrade Thanks for all your advice!

Personally, I went Mac for several reasons, all software related, as what I wanted in hardware could be found on either side of the fence (and cheaper on the PC side of course.)

1. I much prefer OSx to Windows. Windows crashes more. Freezes more. It constantly bugs me to do stuff. With windows, I sometime felt I worked for the computer instead of the other way around.

2. My windows computer was periodically riddled with viruses and malware. I live in China, and have to regularly share files with dozens of my coworkers via cloud, USB drive, etc. Basically, my computer is a dockside prostitute. OS X is more resilient.

3. I have iOS devices. I like the fact that all my toys play nice together now.

Now, the downside.

Apple is a luxury brand these days. You pay a tax to get their stuff. Ok, I'm fine with paying more for a product I like better.

But in my opinion, Apple is too greedy AFTER the sale. You EITHER sell me a cheap product, and then nickel and dime me after the fact, like most PC's do. OR you hit me up front and stand behind your product like a champ afterward. Apple chooses to gouge you both places. Applecare? Given what you pay for these machines, should be free. They will only let you call them on the phone so many times, which is a joke.

I have made my peace with it, but some people can't. I used to have a BMW for my car. I loved going to the dealership for maintenance. It was free for five years. I pull up, they give me coffee, greet me by name, kiss your behind. That is what luxury customer service should be. Apple acts like you should be grateful to them, not the other way around.

Rant ended.

Bottom line, its just like the never ending iOS vs. android flame war. Both will do the job perfectly well. Just get what you like.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Look at it this way Sam. Stay with your Jag and give a cheaper, less performing Hyundai a miss. Get the simile?

Same as looking at a Mac Pro and a cheap Dell Latitude.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information