New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

while in sleep mode, do Macbook pro fans spin?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Retake

Retake is on a distinguished road

Im traveling tomorrow and I want to put my macbook pro in a case , with no air ventilation in sleep mode, Can I do this or no? Will the fans still spin?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

when traveling, shut it down. I have been in IT for over 16 years and never is it recommended to travel with a computer of any kind in sleep mode.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Very good advice from member "Deckyon". I can relate to numerous posts in our forums which talk about a machine overheating because it woke up while traveling in someone's back pack or traveling case. Always shut the machine off while traveling or carrying it about.
QUOTE Thanks
Retake

Retake is on a distinguished road

Thank you! Ill just drain it to 90% while traveling then then turn it off
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Why drain the battery? There's no need to do that provided you shut the machine down.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
when traveling, shut it down. I have been in IT for over 16 years and never is it not recommended to travel with a computer of any kind in sleep mode.
Fixed that for you. While there is nothing wrong with shutting down your computer, it is perfectly fine to let it sleep. Neither Apple nor any other authority will recommend against it.

A shut/sleeping Mac uses essentially no power and thus produces essentially no heat. Thus, the fans do not run and no ventilation is required.

There is no need to shut the machine down, provided it is kept in a real case that does now allow it to pop open and wake up. I have used Apple notebooks for over a decade, and never shut them down, except for hardware upgrades, from the day that I get them through the day that I replace them. My laptops have slept peacefully in their bags for days at a time, through airport X-ray machines, under the seats of aircraft, beside me on the subway, under a berth on the train, and in the trunk of my car. That's how they're designed to work.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
There is no need to shut the machine down, provided it is kept in a real case that does now allow it to pop open and wake up. I have used Apple notebooks for over a decade, and never shut them down, except for hardware upgrades, from the day that I get them through the day that I replace them. My laptops have slept peacefully in their bags for days at a time, through airport X-ray machines, under the seats of aircraft, beside me on the subway, under a berth on the train, and in the trunk of my car. That's how they're designed to work.
That's all well and good and I'm happy to hear that you have never had a problem. However, we've seen posts from folks who were not as careful or as knowledgeable as you. And that's why I will continue to recommend shutting it down rather than putting it to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That's all well and good and I'm happy to hear that you have never had a problem. However, we've seen posts from folks who were not as careful or as knowledgeable as you
If we were to take that approach, we would have to recommend people leave their computers in their boxes and never take them out. Incautious and ignorant people will inevitably have problems. The solution is to educate them, instead of discouraging them.

Travelling with a sleeping Mac has long been a recommended practice by Apple. So long as you are not mishandling your computer, it is perfectly safe; if you are mishandling your computer, it's not safe anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Travelling with a sleeping Mac has long been a recommended practice by Apple. So long as you are not mishandling your computer, it is perfectly safe; if you are mishandling your computer, it's not safe anyway.
I'm going to just say that I disagree with that sentiment and leave it at that. Like I stated above, I will continue to recommend turning off the machine while traveling.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MB screen scambling | 2007 Macbook starts to boot, then black screen? »