Question Cracked MacBook Pro 13'
    Basically I tripped at my University's library and my macbook went flying and hit the ground. I checked and to my horror the screen was cracked but apparently the LCD panel underneath was not since I could see evrything fine. I have apple-care and went to the apple store and unfortunately they won't cover it. Their price was in my opinion ridiculous $265, that's a bloody ripoff. I basically said I couldn't afford that and walked out. Does anyone know of any places that I can send my laptop in to get fixed or is it easy to do it yourself? If it's half that price Apple charges I'll send it in.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcpeek88 View Post
    Basically I tripped at my University's library and my macbook went flying and hit the ground. I checked and to my horror the screen was cracked but apparently the LCD panel underneath was not since I could see evrything fine. I have apple-care and went to the apple store and unfortunately they won't cover it.
    Applecare only covers manufacturing defects...not accidents...this is why Apple will not cover the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcpeek88 View Post
    Their price was in my opinion ridiculous $265, that's a bloody ripoff.
    What experience do you have to justify saying this price is a "rip-off". Do you know how much replacement parts for computers cost?

This actually is NOT a ripoff. The LCD panel that needs to be replaced (if you were to buy the part yourself & replace it)...would cost $150-$200...then add the cost of labor to install it (which $65 would not be that unreasonable).

As far as places to send your computer to be repaired. I don't think that you're going to find anywhere (that you can trust)...that will be much less than $265. Powerbookmedic.com does repairs...they charge around $249 for a MacBook LCD replacement (price includes shipping).

Mac Service - Apple Mac Repair and Upgrades for your Mac, iPad, iPod, or iPhone

Remember...don't get angry with Apple. If "someone" didn't trip...sending their laptop flying...we wouldn't be having this discussion!

HTH.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    I agree with my fellow forum members. $265 is a reasonable price to pay for the repair - especially having Apple do it. Of course you can always do the repairs yourself. The same folks at powerbookmedic.com that Nick mentioned sells the parts. You can also follow the step by step instructions given at iFixit: The free repair manual.

Thread Information