Wink 2011 MBP completley shut off when battery got low. Normal?
    So recently my 2011 MacBook Pro was running low of battery, I got that "reserve battery" notification. Usually when this notification pops up, I simply find my charger and plug it in. However this time I was away from my charger, so i just figured the MacBook would simply go into a sleep mode of some sort. But it actually shut off, like abruptly. As if i held down the power button. When I got home and plugged it back in, it started up as a reboot, not where i have left off. This is my first MacBook, and the first time my battery has ever been this low, so now my question is, it supposed to just shut off like that, or is it supposed to go into a sleep mode, like some of the old PC laptops i had in the past?

If this is a problem, what should I do to fix it? I still have my warranty.

Thanks.

Jeff

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjeff View Post
    So recently my 2011 MacBook Pro was running low of battery, I got that "reserve battery" notification. Usually when this notification pops up, I simply find my charger and plug it in. However this time I was away from my charger, so i just figured the MacBook would simply go into a sleep mode of some sort. But it actually shut off, like abruptly. As if i held down the power button. When I got home and plugged it back in, it started up as a reboot, not where i have left off. This is my first MacBook, and the first time my battery has ever been this low, so now my question is, it supposed to just shut off like that, or is it supposed to go into a sleep mode, like some of the old PC laptops i had in the past?

If this is a problem, what should I do to fix it? I still have my warranty.

Thanks.

Jeff
    When you get the "reserve battery" notification...this is your warning to:

- save your data
    - plug in the computer if possible (to start recharging the battery)
    - or sleep/shut down the computer to conserve what battery power is left

If you continue to use the computer...it will do exactly as you experienced...it will shut off abruptly (because the battery is basically out of power, and cannot run on "thin-air")!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I am not disagreeing with you but I checked what the notification itself said, it is said "it will go to sleep to preserve memory...". However mine didn't sleep, it actually shut off. Thus thinking mine has a problem, because computers (laptops) usually just dont power off like that.

Heres the notification im referring to:

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjeff View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you but I checked what the notification itself said, it is said "it will go to sleep to preserve memory...". However mine didn't sleep, it actually shut off. Thus thinking mine has a problem, because computers (laptops) usually just dont power off like that.
    I think that the important lesson here is...don't let your laptop battery get so low!

I seriously doubt that there's anything wrong with your computer. Just plug it in...recharge the battery...and if everything works fine...you're good to go.

But just in case...you could try resetting the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information