New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Fixing Macbook Pro myself?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SSJDavidas

SSJDavidas is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone!

So I'm in a bit of a situation!

I bought a 2011 Macbook Pro about a year ago. Everything was going great, and I was in love with it. Approximately six months later though, my now ex-girlfriend accidentally spilled water all over it (break up not related to accident, though I was tempted at that point).

We immediately powered it down, and let it dry off for a few days. At first it wouldn't come on at all, and the screen was all messed up. Eventually though, it started working normally - as long as it was plugged in to AC power. If not plugged in, it will turn on and run fine for a few, but then everything with lag horribly.

We took it the Apple Store and naturally they want around $750 to repair it (saying they needed to replace all internal components "just in case they were damaged")

I'm now typing this up on the same notebook, and am beginning to wonder if there is anyone who can pinpoint where in the computer the problem may be if that is the only issue it is having. If that were possible, then maybe I can just take the chance and replace the part myself and hopefully save at least a little bit of money.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Without knowing specifically what parts are acting up its hard to figure what needs replacing

Was it just water that went on it, or was it Soda or beer

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

It is impossible to guess where the damage might be internally without taking the system apart. If it's like the logic board, that's going to be the piece that's going to cost you the most amount of money.

You didn't say which MBP you have, but this is the 2011 13" MBP instructions to replace a lot of the internals from iFixit.com, so you might as well open it up and see what's going on inside as long as you are comfortable doing that work..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
SSJDavidas

Yes, it was just room temperature water from a water bottle.

And also, it is a 13 Inch MBP 2011
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you like pulling things apart then you could use the ifixit guide, clean it out with compressed air and alcohol and reassemble

Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 Logic Board Replacement - iFixit

One tip, as you take it apart, place all the screws in order in Florists Foam (any florist should sell this)
That way when you reverse and put it back together, the bits dont get all messed up
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sundfoam2.jpeg (4.8 KB, 16 views)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJDavidas View Post

I bought a 2011 Macbook Pro about a year ago.

I'm now typing this up on the same notebook, and am beginning to wonder if there is anyone who can pinpoint where in the computer the problem may be if that is the only issue it is having. If that were possible, then maybe I can just take the chance and replace the part myself and hopefully save at least a little bit of money.
Suffice it to say...what is probably liquid-damaged is something electronic. And "something electronic" (causing the issues you have) is related to the logic board. The logic board is very expensive...and why Apple quoted a $750 price tag for the repair. Logic boards cannot be repaired...they are replaced.

There is also the "Mag-Safe" board (which is primarily associated with the power plug)...which also could be replaced...and is far cheaper than a logic board. If you really want to repair your MacBook Pro...you probably need to find a replacement logic board & possibly a replacement mag-safe board.

But with a brand new 2012 13" MacBook Pro starting at $1199 (or a refurbished "late 2011" model for $929):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD313LL/A

...this may or may not be a good thing to do financially (unless you can find the parts cheap).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

It's too late now, but ideally immediately after the accident you should have taken the base off and disconnected the battery lead from the logic board. Then taking ESD precautions, removed the logic board, and cleaned it with a stiff brush and isopropyl alcohol. Then unscrew and lift up the Airport card so you can remove the optical drive, then if there's any liquid under it, clean it up. The same goes for removing the hard drive and battery, then checking under them. You'll need one of Apple's security screwdrivers for the battery. When cleaned up and dry, reassemble and hope the logic board wasn't damaged by the water when power was applied.

The chances are that the fault your describing is due to a logic board fault. If a part is liquid damaged, Apple will not supply exchange parts, you then pay full price, sometimes 100% more.

Have you any household contents insurance that would cover this?

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
SSJDavidas

Unfortunately, I had no insurance that will cover it... Thank you all for your help though, I'll definitely look into all of these options!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Accssories | Macbook.. Now a paperweight? »