New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ordering Monday: Need some advice, MBP v rMPB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwyatt1995

jwyatt1995 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm looking to order a MacBook on Monday, however I'm having a dilemma on what to buy...

I have a high end custom built desktop for gaming with an SSD for windows and HDD for everything else, spotify for music and an external HDD for movies.

In September 2013 I'll be off to university for a computer science degree, where I may be required to install windows. I'm also concerned with the lack of retina ready apps but I love the thin design and the apps that DO work are BEAUTIFUL.

The two options are:

MacBook Non-Retina 15":
2.6 Ghz i7
8GB RAM that I'll upgrade to 16 myself
750 GB 7200RPM HDD
Anti Glare display

Or

MacBook Retina:
2.3 Ghz i7
16GB RAM
256GB SSD (I feel this may be too small despite where I said I store media in the above paragraph)

I REALLY don't want to shell out so much more for a 2.6 512GB retina. So what would you guys suggest.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

It is really simple. Buy the best computer you can afford at the time.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
jwyatt1995

jwyatt1995 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
It is really simple. Buy the best computer you can afford at the time.
So out of the two?
QUOTE Thanks
Dre Sage

Dre Sage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro w/ Retina (Personal) and iMac (Work)

I am getting the basic macbook pro with retina next week. I will buy the high-end version whenever I feel like I can afford it.

So go with whatever your conscience and common sense tells you.
QUOTE Thanks
djweissman

djweissman is on a distinguished road

I'd say go with the best Retina MacBook Pro you can afford. It is just awesome to use all the time on the go .When I connect it to my 55" LED TV it performs even better at the lower resolution of 1080p especially with D3. The cooling system is also top notch and keeps it cool under load. Definitely keeps it cooler than the non-Retina MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
djweissman

Quote:
Originally Posted by anynamewilldo View Post
The nice thing about a retina MB is you can look at yourself in the mirror all the time.

If that doesn't appeal to you, get the matte 15" MBP.
Stop exaggerating. You can't see yourself. They did a fine job of reducing glare since they had to give it a glossy display due to accurate color reproduction and non-washout of colors that you see in matte displays.
QUOTE Thanks
djweissman

Quote:
I checked it out in detail at the Apple Store. Didn't seem any different at all, in terms of being glossy, as my mid-2009 13" MBP.

SOOOOOO glad matte display is at least an option. I wish it was an option on the 13" machine, could have saved myself a lot of money.
That would be nice on a 13".
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Personally, I'd stay away from the Retina MacBook Pro. I like to have the options to upgrade memory, HDD/SSD, etc. The optical drive comes in handy as well on occasion. Super high-resolution screens (particularly on a small panel) don't do much for me. It brings back memories of my old Inspiron 8200 with the 1600x1200 screen. Font scaling can only do so much... if I need something higher than 1440x900, I'll hook up an external monitor.

And since you plan on running Windows, you'll find few applications for that high of a resolution. So, unless thickness and weight are huge considerations, I'd stick with the non-Retina machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
The expandability is a good reason - but I wonder how much it REALLY matters, at least in terms of RAM.

I'm putting in 16GB in mine (15" non-retina) as soon as it arrives.
a). I expect that will be plenty, for quite some time to come.
b). Given that 16GB isn't directly supported by Apple, is it even likely I'll be able to put more in it in the future, or is there an address space limitation that provides a hard limit at 16GB?
Ram is certainly is a VERY VERY important consideration when purchasing the retina MacBook Pro. The ram is not upgradeable after purchase...so you have to buy all the ram you will ever need upfront. This usually means (if someone is going to keep the computer for a long time)...getting more ram than you might really need today.

16gig of ram is definitely supported by Apple with the retina MacBook Pro...16gig is an upgrade option on the pre-purchase configuration page.

And although 16gig may not be "officially" endorsed by Apple for the "regular" 15" 2012 MacBook Pro...it's totally stable. All the Macintosh info websites have tested the 15" 2012 MacBook Pro with 16 gig...totally stable. This really is not that uncommon. MANY Macintosh models (over the years) have been found to be stable with more ram than Apple endorses.

But I agree with you...for the average user...it's going to be a while before 16gig of ram will be necessary. But for a user Big Time into video & graphics...$200 extra for the 16gig ram upgrade may be worth it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
You skipped the main point of my post (:
You are correct. If the OP plans on upgrading (pretty much from the beginning) either MBP to 16gig (retina or non-retina)...then ram expandability should not be a major future expansion consideration (but this assumes that the OP does purchase a 15" 2012 rMBP with 16gig of ram).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook with extreme temps | max frequency for RAM for mid-2010 MBP? »