Unhappy New owner used MacBook Pro
    Help! This month I purchased a Oct. 2011 MacBook Pro OS 10.7.4 from a guy on eBay. Seems to work just fine but cannot get all his stuff off the machine. I contacted him and got his password. Then I changed the computer name (under Sharing), and removed him as a user and made myself administrator (Users & Groups). I deleted all his old files that I could find (dragged to trash and did Secure Empty Trash) . However he keeps showing up ...... Today I tried to update Apps at the App Store and his account shows up. When I log him off/out and put in my info I get an error message! ("You have updates available for other accounts. Sign in (to other guys account" to update.") AND it won't let me update my apps from my account. I have no idea where he will pop up again.....

Is there any hope other than doing a COMPLETE scrub of the machine and starting over? There were no discs included.... assume I would have to get OS as download? Also, I have already installed my Microsoft Office suite and to reinstall would lose one activaiton.

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Back up your data. Then restart the computer and hold down Command + R as you restart. Start holding as soon as you hear the chime. This will boot into the recovery mode. Now you can erase the hard drive, and reinstall a fresh machine. Once the reinstall is finished, copy your data back to the machine and it will be 100% yours. No old users, everything will be yours.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Do not know if that will work Stretch as App Store account is in former user's name. Perhaps your best answer lay in using Software Update, then open an App Store account pay the $20 to download Mountain Lion, burn a copy to a USB thumb stick before installing.

Boot from the thumb stick, erase and format the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything off the drive so if there is anything in particular you want saved, backup to an external drive. Here is how to burn the USB thumb stick, choosing the DIY option.

http://lifehacker.com/592878
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Do not know if that will work Stretch as App Store account is in former user's name. Perhaps your best answer lay in using Software Update, then open an App Store account pay the $20 to download Mountain Lion, burn a copy to a USB thumb stick before installing.

Boot from the thumb stick, erase and format the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything off the drive so if there is anything in particular you want saved, backup to an external drive. Here is how to burn the USB thumb stick, choosing the DIY option.

http://lifehacker.com/592878
    Well that's a bummer if it doesn't work like that. I figured it would, as it is essentially the same as using a restore DVD from pre Lion computers. Didn't think about the App Store registration of the computer.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Thread Information