New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

newbie wanting advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alphaboy200

alphaboy200 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone. I have to admit I had a mac in the 90's when not too many had one but haven't had one since! I've been using a Toshiba Satellite a100 15.6 inch core duo since 2006. It's still competent and working well for the most part but I seem to be longing for a macbook. I currently have an ipad2 as well.

I will still use my Toshiba from time to time but will leave it mainly as a desktop for my family. I'm looking between a brand new entry level 13" Macbook Pro or a refurb fall 2011 15" from the apple store. My main uses will be more all-purpose (e.g. browsing, email, typing blogs). I am no gamer. I'd like to use it to store photos, videos, and music stored in it as well.

I am contemplating between the two because I wonder if I would miss out with either of them. For example:
1. the new 13" has usb 3.0 vs the 15" 2.0. Is it something that I will miss out on in the future?
2. With the 15" screen resolution and overall power of the machine vs the relatively less in the 13". I don't know if I should just get the more powerful machine. At the same time, I'm not sure I need to have that much power. But at the same time I'm wondering if the 15" would be a better "Apple" experience.

Price is not a big issue. However, I will be able to save about $300 with the 13", which I don't mind either. I'm sure since both are MBP's the durability is not an issue. I would like to keep this purchase for a while.

If any of you could give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Wait a bit and you can probably pick up a refurb new model 15in MBP.

Though, hard to see how you could go wrong with either. You aren't a high power demand user from your description, so depends on how important portability is.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
alphaboy200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Wait a bit and you can probably pick up a refurb new model 15in MBP.

Though, hard to see how you could go wrong with either. You aren't a high power demand user from your description, so depends on how important portability is.
Thanks for your reply Razormac! Portability isn't an issue since I would be using it at my local Starbucks, home, and work. On trips, I would normally bring my ipad. I know this may be a long shot but would you know the time frame from when they begin putting the latest models on the refurb store? I know it would be a guess but not sure if you would know. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboy200 View Post
Thanks for your reply Razormac! Portability isn't an issue since I would be using it at my local Starbucks, home, and work. On trips, I would normally bring my ipad. I know this may be a long shot but would you know the time frame from when they begin putting the latest models on the refurb store? I know it would be a guess but not sure if you would know. Thanks again.
I wouldn't know . . . But there are always returns and buyers remorse. So I wouldn't expect it to be long at all.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
alphaboy200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I wouldn't know . . . But there are always returns and buyers remorse. So I wouldn't expect it to be long at all.
Lol! Gotcha!
QUOTE Thanks
alphaboy200

Any other thoughts? Please?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Display Gets Rainbow Effect! PLEASE HELP! | New owner used MacBook Pro »