key on macbook pro is type weird symbol

The keyboard on my macbook pro work fine but four of the letter (the a, w, x, and delete) key is not functioning probably. When I press on it, it produce only weird symbol or a long word of just nonsense (Please not that all of the other key produce regular letter). I try the CAP lock, the option key and all the F key but nothing work. The laptop is no longer under warranty. I was wondering does anyone know how I can fix this. If I take it to an professor, either to an apple store or to any computer repair shop; how much would you think it would cause to fix this. I plug in an external keyboard and all the key work find, I just don't know. These key respond to my typing but not with the destinated letter. I check the setting for the langauge and everything but there it not that.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Have you spilled anything on your MBP keyboard? A liquid spill on the keyboard will cause peculiar things to happen with the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Have you spilled anything on your MBP keyboard? A liquid spill on the keyboard will cause peculiar things to happen with the keys.

I'm not to sure since it not really mine but my dad. I can't ask him since he is out of town for a couple of day and left his phone at home. Let say if he did, is there anyway to fix this. If so how much would it cost (for both the apple and an computer repair shop).

Specs:
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    Only the Apple store can diagnose the problem and price a solution, we certainly cannot.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
    Only the Apple store can diagnose the problem and price a solution, we certainly cannot.
    I agree. One thing i can say is Water damage of any sort in a Notebook ISNT cheap.

How long has this been happening?? Have you tried to restart the MBP ??

I would try resetting the SMC (Resetting the System Management Controller) Im not going to go through all the methods as there are different methods for different Mac's so goto this link, find your Mac and follow the instructions. Report back. Ohh it won't hurt Zapping the PRAM and NVRAM either here . . . .

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information