New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cases for the new Macbook pro Retina display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sdotwang

sdotwang is on a distinguished road

Im looking for a good case to buy for this laptop. Nothing fancy, just something sleek and simple.

Anyone has suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
djweissman

djweissman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotwang View Post
Im looking for a good case to buy for this laptop. Nothing fancy, just something sleek and simple.

Anyone has suggestions?
This case is awesome and fits great allowing all vents to be exposed.

Amazon.com: Kuzy - NEWEST Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" with Retina Display A1398 White/Clear Rubberized Hard Case Cover Aluminum Unibody 15-Inch (NEWEST VERSION): Computers & Accessories
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

@weissman: You don' think that this type of case will, in effect, thermally insulate the laptop and hamper heat disbursement? I know it says that the case has cut-outs for the laptop's vents, but isn't the entire laptop outer structure itself a heatsink?

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
djweissman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
@weissman: You don' think that this type of case will, in effect, thermally insulate the laptop and hamper heat disbursement? I know it says that the case has cut-outs for the laptop's vents, but isn't the entire laptop outer structure itself a heatsink?
Hello, I stress the computer pretty hard at times and it doesn't affect the heat disipation. There are a bunch of vents on the bottom of the case that help it stay cool.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

^^I'm surprised to learn that, but it is good news. I rather like those cases.

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I have to agree...at least in theory.

If we are talking about hard shell cases (which are usually made of a relatively thick plastic)...they certainly can't be helping things from a heat dissipation standpoint. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum case of the MacBook Pro is a better heat conductor/dissipator than plastic...so the MacBook Pro (by itself) would have to be better at releasing/radiating heat.

But...the question is how much of an effect does the hard shell case have (installed vs. not installed)...and is this effect significant. I have a hard shell case for my MBP...but have never tested my temps with/with out the case.

And of course...the reason why we install hard shell cases is to protect the computer from dents, dings, scratches, etc. Apple laptops are supposed to have built-in features to shut it off automatically if it gets too hot (prevent damage). So I would say...as long as the computer isn't shutting off unexpectedly (with a hard shell case installed)...that everything is fine.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
djweissman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I have to agree...at least in theory.

If we are talking about hard shell cases (which are usually made of a relatively thick plastic)...they certainly can't be helping things from a heat dissipation standpoint. I'm pretty sure that the aluminum case of the MacBook Pro is a better heat conductor/dissipator than plastic...so the MacBook Pro (by itself) would have to be better at releasing/radiating heat.

But...the question is how much of an effect does the hard shell case have (installed vs. not installed)...and is this effect significant. I have a hard shell case for my MBP...but have never tested my temps with/with out the case.

And of course...the reason why we install hard shell cases is to protect the computer from dents, dings, scratches, etc. Apple laptops are supposed to have built-in features to shut it off automatically if it gets too hot (prevent damage). So I would say...as long as the computer isn't shutting off unexpectedly (with a hard shell case installed)...that everything is fine.

- Nick
I will try playing d3 tonight with and without the case on it and record the temps and post them here.
QUOTE Thanks
sdotwang

sdotwang is on a distinguished road

i got the case (in black) and its my first macbook pro. I have to say its a really good case. BUt when i play games or watch videos, the top of the mac (space above the F keys) gets really hot. I guess this is normal for macs?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotwang View Post

Anyone has suggestions?
Are you trying to prevent scratches, or dents from bumps, falling hammers, and possibly rocks? Here's why I dislike hard cases. They cause static. When it builds up static, it attracts all kinds of tiny crap that ALWAYS seems to find its way in between the plastic and aluminum you are trying to protect. If you put your computer in a school bag, any pressure placed between the plastic and the aluminum will cause the "crap" in between to damage the aluminum. In order to clean this "crap," you have to take the case off, which is held in place by little tabs. These tabs will eventually wear out the aluminum and themselves.
If you don't believe me, there are plenty of stories online you can search.

I've had my own ZAGG Invisible SHIELD on for about 3 years now, and it's still perfect, and obviously has lead to a scratch free MBP. That's what I would advise you to get. If you need protection from hammers, I have no advice to give, because I don't know who makes hammer-proof covers.

Also, it would be a shame to add bulkiness to such a nicely designed computer.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Air mid 2012 shutdown freeze | macbook freeze error? »