New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

macbook pro 13' (2012 model) ram + ssd upgrade.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
Hi,
im purchasing my first mbp, and im looking to upgrade the ram and hdd to SSD.
i have a budget of $300 for the ram and ssd incl shipping if purchased from the US shipped to AUS.
i want to get 8gb ram and not sure on ssd size ill keep my music on a portable harddrive.

thanks hope you can help
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

 
wolfpuppies3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 07, 2010
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 381
wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

wolfpuppies3 is offline
macsales.com (OWC) will give you your answers for all the variables available. The SSDs range in price from $49.95 to about $1150, dependent upon size you need. The memory will be about $60 to update to 8 GB.

So, for $300 you could have 8 GB memory (16 GB is possible) and a 240 GB SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
macsales.com (OWC) will give you your answers for all the variables available. The SSDs range in price from $49.95 to about $1150, dependent upon size you need. The memory will be about $60 to update to 8 GB.

So, for $300 you could have 8 GB memory (16 GB is possible) and a 240 GB SSD.
thanks for the reply,
i checked out owc website.
to get it shipped to australia with 8gb ram, 240gb owc 3g ssd with enclosure kit,tools incl
would cost around $335 . is that worth the price or is there a cheaper combo of ram and ssd i could get for under 300
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 742
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
Look for 6g ssd though, I do not know if the newegg ship to AUS,
for ssd, you could get from newegg.com, here is the latest from them a limited period though
Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
QUOTE Thanks
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
Look for 6g ssd though, I do not know if the newegg ship to AUS,
for ssd, you could get from newegg.com, here is the latest from them a limited period though
Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
thanks, newegg doesnt shipp to aus although i can use sites like priceusa etc.
im also considering buying instead of 2012 model a 2.8ghz i7 mbp late 2011. which is only $1199 at ****smiths. where as new 2012 2.5ghz i5 is 1349.
is there much difference between 2011-2012 models?
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

 
maz94protege's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 09, 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 514
maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

maz94protege is offline
Throw the regular HDD into an external enclosure (bus powered) cost around $10

Buy a 90-128GB SSD for around $90 (After MIR) and 8GB DDR3 1333 ram is ~$50

The OWC SSD's are SAWEET but overpriced. I got an OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 (6GB/S) 90GB for $114 (6months ago) blazing fast in my desktop and 10x better in my MBP.

OWC is quality, and a bit pricey. SATA2/SATA3 SSD...either one will work good.

SSD is always going to be faster then any HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz94protege View Post
Throw the regular HDD into an external enclosure (bus powered) cost around $10

Buy a 90-128GB SSD for around $90 (After MIR) and 8GB DDR3 1333 ram is ~$50

The OWC SSD's are SAWEET but overpriced. I got an OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 (6GB/S) 90GB for $114 (6months ago) blazing fast in my desktop and 10x better in my MBP.

OWC is quality, and a bit pricey. SATA2/SATA3 SSD...either one will work good.

SSD is always going to be faster then any HDD.
thanks, how is the reliabity of the vertex 3? alot of people say there full of problems.
never the less. in australia i can get 120gb vertex 3 ssd for under $120 which is perfect price wise.
QUOTE Thanks
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
or i can get the vertex 4 for $140 in aus.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 742
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
samsung 830 series have you try ?
QUOTE Thanks
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
samsung 830 series have you try ?
thanks just checked that out, decided im going to the samsung 830 128gb + g.skill mac memory 2x4gb 1333 kit. which brings the price for both to $190 with shipping.

what tools do i need to install these? for late 2011 mbp 13inch
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 742
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
I believe the samsung ssd comes with an adapter, use the adapter to transfer your current hd to external ssd
via Carbon copy clone, download from internet.
1. once it is cloned to your ssd, reboot the mbp when the chime sounds hold option key should boot up from external ssd.
2. Sweep the drives, install osx to your ssd, reboot again using the same method as 1.
3. download blackmagic speed test from mac app store is free, test your speed test.
Should be smooth enough for installing ssd.
QUOTE Thanks
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
I believe the samsung ssd comes with an adapter, use the adapter to transfer your current hd to external ssd
via Carbon copy clone, download from internet.
1. once it is cloned to your ssd, reboot the mbp when the chime sounds hold option key should boot up from external ssd.
2. Sweep the drives, install osx to your ssd, reboot again using the same method as 1.
3. download blackmagic speed test from mac app store is free, test your speed test.
Should be smooth enough for installing ssd.
thanks mate,
are there any specific screwdrivers i need to open the mbp case?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 742
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
+0 screw driver for lower case.
QUOTE Thanks
holl109

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
Posts: 9
holl109 is on a distinguished road

holl109 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by anynamewilldo View Post
You need really small phillips drivers and probably a torx 5 for some of the inside work.

Your best bet is to buy a set of such tools from an electronics place. Make sure it has a variety of really small phillips & flat screw drivers, and T4,T5,T6,T7 and ideally, T8 drivers. If possible, get a plastic "spudge" device too (basically a plastic, flat screwdriver looking thing.
i found this on a store thats in my town,
its for a iphone but would the tools work for macbook pro
it comes with Contents
2 x Plastic opening levers
1 x Guitar Pick Opening Tool
1 x Pentalobe Screwdriver TS1
1 x Phillips Screwdriver PH00
1 x Suction Cap
1 x Sim card ejector pin tool
1 x Phone mounting bracket / Screw hold marker
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« New ram help with early 2008 Macbook Pro | MacBook Pro won't download or stream anything »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Is a RAM upgrade possible on my Macbook Pro? jdub679 Apple Notebooks 3 06-15-2012 11:11 AM
Finder won't start laurag OS X - Operating System 5 04-13-2012 05:46 PM
Macbook Pro 13 2009 RAM upgrade jackowild Apple Notebooks 1 01-31-2011 12:19 PM
Macbook Pro RAM upgrade question (speed) deacon87 Apple Notebooks 5 12-02-2008 03:50 PM
Can only upgrade 3 gigs of RAM on Macbook Pro? burnt1ce85 Apple Notebooks 6 02-19-2008 09:07 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?