New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Two Frameworks Folders

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macuser1232

macuser1232 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram

Hi,

I was wondering what the difference between the /Library/Frameworks folder and the /System/Library/Frameworks folder is because the first frameworks folder has a considerably lower amount of frameworks than the one under System. Is this supposed to be like this?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

One is for the system (OS X), one is for applications that are installed for all users (/Library/Frameworks) and one is for only your user (~/Library/Frameworks also known as /Users/<username>/Library/Frameworks).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
One is for the system (OS X), one is for applications that are installed for all users (/Library/Frameworks) and one is for only your user (~/Library/Frameworks also known as /Users/<username>/Library/Frameworks).
Oh so the (~?Library//Frameworks) is the folder of Frameworks I downloaded? Because I have a Python folder in each of the different Frameworks folders.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't download a Frameworks folder. Python installs it to an already present Frameworks folder: /Library/Frameworks/. It install itself here because it is designed to be usable by all users on the system.

There is a version of Python at /System/Library/Frameworks - this is the Python installation that comes with OS X.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
No, you don't download a Frameworks folder. Python installs it to an already present Frameworks folder: /Library/Frameworks/. It install itself here because it is designed to be usable by all users on the system.

There is a version of Python at /System/Library/Frameworks - this is the Python installation that comes with OS X.
yeah that's what i thought. so what if i deleted the Python folder in /System/Library/Frameworks? And also that's weird because apparently my Mac came with 3.2 Python and I bought it in 2011.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Don't touch anything in /System, ever. The files in there are used by the operating system.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
Don't touch anything in /System, ever. The files in there are used by the operating system.
I know that!! But I may have moved a python 3.2 folder in the /System once. I don't know. Not sure. But could you answer my question about why I have another Python folder in /Library? And what it's for, and if I need it?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
I know that!! But I may have moved a python 3.2 folder in the /System once.
If you know that, why'd you move something into /System?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
But could you answer my question about why I have another Python folder in /Library? And what it's for, and if I need it?
The standard Python installer installs Python to /Library/Frameworks. If you've installed Python manually, that would be it. Do you need it? That's up to you to answer.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
If you know that, why'd you move something into /System?
The standard Python installer installs Python to /Library/Frameworks. If you've installed Python manually, that would be it. Do you need it? That's up to you to answer.
Oh ok that's what I thought. And if you know if i'm not supposed to have the python 3.2 in my /System tell me because then I can delete it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I don't have it in /System and I have a new machine. However, there's little reason to remove it and, given what I mentioned before, you don't want to go deleting stuff because it's probably there for a reason.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
I don't have it in /System and I have a new machine. However, there's little reason to remove it and, given what I mentioned before, you don't want to go deleting stuff because it's probably there for a reason.
what versions do you have? And I most likely did put it there because when I was downloading tons of Python stuff I downloaded 3.2 and now I just use 2.7 so I probably wouldn't need it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I'm not sure why it would have ended up there since Python is shipped as an installer. The only way I can imagine it ended up there was if you either moved it from there or compiled it from source and set /Syste/Library/Frameworks/ as the target during the build process.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
I'm not sure why it would have ended up there since Python is shipped as an installer. The only way I can imagine it ended up there was if you either moved it from there or compiled it from source and set /Syste/Library/Frameworks/ as the target during the build process.
Oh ok. well i think im gonna go ahead and delete it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You might want to reconsider - it's best to leave /System as it is.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
You might want to reconsider - it's best to leave /System as it is.
I know but after all this evidence that it's not supposed to be there and the possibility that I actually put it there once is really saying that I don't need it. I mean we could always get another person's opinion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion does not boot after RAM upgrade, Bootcamp fine | Battery question »