Question Same model Macbook Air faster than the other?
    My father just received his 13" Macbook Air 2012 i5 with 8 GB of RAM yesterday. I have the same exact model, but for some reason his machine feels "slightly" slower than mine. Is this possible? Or are we both just dead wrong about this.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    If it's "slightly" slower, I'm going to guess that your observations are purely subjective. No two machines, regardless of specs, are going to perform in exactly the same way.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    run software update on the new mbp air, see any improvement.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNoob15 View Post
    My father just received his 13" Macbook Air 2012 i5 with 8 GB of RAM yesterday. I have the same exact model, but for some reason his machine feels "slightly" slower than mine. Is this possible? Or are we both just dead wrong about this.
    It all depends:

- It depends on what software is installed and used.
    - If there are any apps. that load upon startup
    - If EXACTLY the same things are performed in each computer to logically & scientifically state that one computer is faster than another.
    - and there are other things such as...cache files, permissions, swap files sizes, amount of page-outs, etc. that can affect things (since no two computers are used exactly the same)

Also...DO NOT make this sort of judgement based on doing things via the internet. Internet speeds can & do vary...so if one of these MBA's are being used during a "fast" internet period...and the other during a "slower" internet period...then they will "seem" different.

And just for completeness. The only accurate way to test the speed of two computers is to use a benchmarking program...or have both computers sitting side by side...both setup the same way (specifications)...and both doing EXACTLY the same tasks at the same time. Then using a stopwatch (or possibly visually if the speed difference is that great).

Also...no two computers (even the exact same model & configuration) are EXACTLY the same speed. There will always be very small differences (but this is really more of a technical point than real world).

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thank you for the quick responses!

His laptop is not currently home right now, but one of the main differences we noticed was the scrolling on webpages. My scrolling seems to be a lot smoother when navigating the same exact web page.

Specs:
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    Use a known speed test like Black Magic Disk Speed Test to compare them and let us know how they compare.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
    Use a known speed test like Black Magic Disk Speed Test to compare them and let us know how they compare.
    They are both averaging about 230 write / 440 read. Is that about normal?

Specs:
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    That's about right

Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    if you click apple menu > about this mac > more info > system report > serial ATA > Link speed is 6 gigabit
    then your write speed should be more, so does read speed.
    because my core 2 speed is about 200 (write) and 260 (read), mine is SATA 2 ssd.

Quote Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
    if you click apple menu > about this mac > more info > system report > serial ATA > Link speed is 6 gigabit
    then your write speed should be more, so does read speed.
    because my core 2 speed is about 200 (write) and 260 (read), mine is SATA 2 ssd.
    It reads Link Speed: 6gb. You are saying my speeds should be higher than 230 and 440?

Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    I believe so, should be higher. maybe someone can confirm that with sata 3 drive.

Thread Information