New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro won't recognize Toshiba External Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christysk

christysk is on a distinguished road

Hi! I just bought my new Macbook Pro and one of the first things I attempted to do was get data from my 750 GB external hard drive. Sadly, it doesn't recognize it! I've been reading other threads with similar problems, but none seem to match up to my situation exactly...

Disk Utility DOES recognize it, but doesn't let me do much with it.
It does NOT show up in System Profiler.
I have tried a different cord with no results.
This hard drive works on my PCs.

I've also noticed that when I click "Info" in Disk Utility it recognizes it's location as "Internal". That doesn't seem right to me. Could that be the problem? And how do I fix it? Thanks, everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

If you use external enclosure for the toshiba hd, plug the usb from external drive to mbp,
boot it up. click your finder dock. see it shows up.
otherwise go to utility > disk utility should be there.
QUOTE Thanks
christysk

Yes, I use the USB 3.0 port, but it doesn't show up in my Finder.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Does this drive have its own power cord or does it rely on drawing power from the USB port. If it draws power from the port and it is not getting sufficient power that can cause all kinds of problems.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
christysk

Yeah, it draws it's power from the port. My brother's hard drive has it's own power cord and worked fine. Is it still a power issue even if Disk Utility recognizes it's existence?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I personally have not tried drives that draw power from the port. Often these drives have special cables that connect them to two ports simultaneously. There are several threads here with users having problems like yours that went away when a power cord was used with the drive. Does that drive has a power cord (perhaps as an optional accessory)?

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Evidently, there's some issues with the Toshiba Canvio series drives and some MacBook models:

Toshiba Acknowledges MacBook Woes in Canvio USB 3.0 Hard Drives | PhoneNews.com

If the drive is relatively new, I'd try returning it to your retailer. Toshiba doesn't exactly have a good rep for hard drive integrity to begin with.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
christysk

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a power cable option. Is there a cable I can buy that can give it more power? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

this is the charger with power cable.

NewerTech U2NV2SPATA Universal Drive Adapter USB... in stock at OWC
QUOTE Thanks
christysk

Great, thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

That device is handy. I have used one before with good results. It does not necessarily provide additional power to the drive though. If the drive is dependent on USB bus power and has nowhere to connect an external power cord that may not help.

My reason for asking whether their is a connection for external power is that some of these drives have the socket for additional power but the cord is an accessory that must be purchased. Which drive is this BTW.

QUOTE Thanks
christysk

It doesn't have a connection for an external power source. I think it's completely dependent on USB bus power.

It's a Toshiba Canvio 750 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Confusion about Repairs | power adapter mystery »