New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Added RAM now mouse/cursor is frozen!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dparker329

dparker329 is on a distinguished road

Yes it is easy to switch out and add RAM to a Late '08 Early '09 MBP. I found one site that said I could really go up to two 4gb cards and it would work fine... So I bought Kingston KTA-MB1066K2/8G (it arrived with a package of two). I made the switch, which was very easy, but when I fired it back up everything appeared normal on my Desktop, except the fan runs constantly and the cursor is stuck in the top left hand corner.

I have tried every combination of the 4's and my old 1's (including the original config of 2 x 1) and the same thing is happening. Since this was going to be cheap and easy, I'm hoping someone can provide what hopefully, a very simple answer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker329 View Post
I found one site that said I could really go up to two 4gb cards and it would work fine... So I bought Kingston KTA-MB1066K2/8G (it arrived with a package of two). I made the switch, which was very easy, but when I fired it back up everything appeared normal on my Desktop, except the fan runs constantly and the cursor is stuck in the top left hand corner.

I have tried every combination of the 4's and my old 1's (including the original config of 2 x 1) and the same thing is happening. Since this was going to be cheap and easy, I'm hoping someone can provide what hopefully, a very simple answer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
My first thought is that the 8gig ram upgrade you purchased was the wrong ram...but then you mentioned that when you reinstall the original 2 gig of ram...the same thing happens (is this correct)?

If so, I've heard of this happening before...sometimes if you do an SMC reset...things will be ok:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dparker329

dparker329 is on a distinguished road

I was hopeful, but the SMS reset did not solve the problem. Yes, I matched the RAM to ensure that I was purchasing compatable divices. And yes, it is doing the same thing with the original RAM.

With the frozen cursor I am "stuck" on my Desktop listening to the fan run!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. If you have any other ideas, don't hesitate!

David
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Double check and make sure all connections in the computer are secure. It's possible you may have jarred one that isn't critical but is causing issues.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If it's getting to the desktop, the RAM must be installed correctly as if you had it wrong It would not even do the chime leave alone boot up OSX. Are you sure you did not knock something loose when you were inside? That is what Stretch is getting at I believe.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1 week old new Macbook Pro 13 Late 2011 battery | Using all 16GB of ram, will computer get too hot? »