New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

1 week old new Macbook Pro 13 Late 2011 battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sarremiro

sarremiro is on a distinguished road

My new Macbook Pro 13" Late 2011 came with 50% of the battery and that 50% lasted like 4 hours, then i did the full charge for more than 10 hours. Then I changed RAM to 8GB, installed Office, Aperture and transfered all my stuff from my old Windos PC, i did 2 intense days of Final Cut editing and somehow my battery lasts 3 - 3:20 hours now. I tought it was software problem but today I formatted it, installed Lion again and batters still.... Did the calibrations, reseted SMC, PRAM and stills the same.

Coconut Battery says my battery capacity is 97%with 20 load cycles so i think the battery isnt messed up, somethings wrong but i dont know what.

Now with the clean Lion the battery still a, called Apple and they said my battery was fine.. Any ideas?

Always using 60-70% of brightness, 30-50% of backlit keyboard light and 5 tabs of Chrome, Tweetdeck and nothing else. I have a Late 2010 Macbook Pro 13" and it lasts for 6 hours.. How can it be possible?

Thanks for it : )
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

The only thing I could suggest is to bring the system to an Apple store and make the guys at the Genius Bar watch as your battery drains in record time. Once they're convinced that there's actually a problem, they'll make it right (or explain how/why they can't).
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

@sarremiro: No need to double post.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Wait, the complaint is the battery lasts 6 hours?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I think he is complaining the MBP only gets about three hours of battery life while doing heavy editing in Final Cut Pro. That sounds about right for a processor-intensive task.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightcraftsman View Post
I think he is complaining the MBP only gets about three hours of battery life while doing heavy editing in Final Cut Pro. That sounds about right for a processor-intensive task.
Yeah, in either case it sounds like its working as designed.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
sarremiro

No, my complaint is that using 5 tabs of Google Chrome, Twitter for Mac, some random video on Youtube for 20 minutes? some uTorrent and THATS IT at 60% of brightness, keyboard light off, I just get 3 hours of battery, even with the 100% and leaving my computer 2 minutes it never show 7 hours like my old Late 2010 Macbook Pro wich is weird..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarremiro View Post
No, my complaint is that using 5 tabs of Google Chrome, Twitter for Mac, some random video on Youtube for 20 minutes? some uTorrent and THATS IT at 60% of brightness, keyboard light off, I just get 3 hours of battery, even with the 100% and leaving my computer 2 minutes it never show 7 hours like my old Late 2010 Macbook Pro wich is weird..
Since this computer is only 1 week old...and if you really feel something is not quite right (especially since you have experience with your previous 2010 MacBook Pro)...just visit your local Apple Store (if you have one)...or call Apple to arrange to ship the computer to them for troubleshooting.

If there truly is something wrong (battery or hardware issue)...no amount of discussion here will resolve it (especially if something needs to be replaced). Since this computer is still under warranty (just 1 week old). This is why speaking with Apple is the way to go.

If this computer was out of warranty...then that would be a different situation. I will suggest one easy thing you can do...try doing an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
sarremiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Since this computer is only 1 week old...and if you really feel something is not quite right (especially since you have experience with your previous 2010 MacBook Pro)...just visit your local Apple Store (if you have one)...or call Apple to arrange to ship the computer to them for troubleshooting.

If there truly is something wrong (battery or hardware issue)...no amount of discussion here will resolve it (especially if something needs to be replaced). Since this computer is still under warranty (just 1 week old). This is why speaking with Apple is the way to go.

If this computer was out of warranty...then that would be a different situation. I will suggest one easy thing you can do...try doing an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Nick
Problem is that I bought it in another city and in my city theres no Apple Store, anyways they did a check of the battery trough an Apple Report wich i sent from my Mac and it says its ok =( any ways to ask for the in box warranty?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Problem is that I bought it in another city and in my city theres no Apple Store, anyways they did a check of the battery trough an Apple Report wich i sent from my Mac and it says its ok =(
I'm not sure where the confusion is??

Sure you may have purchased this Mac in another city...and where you live there may not be a local Apple Store. Does this mean that if you drive say an hour in any direction...there is still no Apple Store in nearby cities (I know this is possible). Your other option is...call Apple...describe the situation (you're sure something is wrong)...and arrange to have the computer shipped to Apple).

This may not be an overly agreeable option...since you will be without your computer for a few days to a week. But if you cannot get to a local Apple Store...this is what you have to do.

Quote:
any ways to ask for the in box warranty?
I have no idea what is being asked here.

Also...did you try doing an SMC reset as I suggested above?

- Nick

p.s. By the way...it would probably help if you mentioned that your location is in another country (Mexico)...because I can totally understand that you might have limited options to get in touch with Apple (Apple Stores).

QUOTE Thanks
sarremiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm not sure where the confusion is??

Sure you may have purchased this Mac in another city...and where you live there may not be a local Apple Store. Does this mean that if you drive say an hour in any direction...there is still no Apple Store in nearby cities (I know this is possible). Your other option is...call Apple...describe the situation (you're sure something is wrong)...and arrange to have the computer shipped to Apple).

This may not be an overly agreeable option...since you will be without your computer for a few days to a week. But if you cannot get to a local Apple Store...this is what you have to do.

I have no idea what is being asked here.

Also...did you try doing an SMC reset as I suggested above?

- Nick

p.s. By the way...it would probably help if you mentioned that your location is in another country (Mexico)...because I can totally understand that you might have limited options to get in touch with Apple (Apple Stores).
Well yeah, I called again Support and there's no shipping way to do it cuz they claim the battery is ok with all the tests they did via phone and via report to apple so they told me that i have to go to the apple store.

Why Im surprised is howthe battery duration changed in 2 weeks from 7 hours to 2-3 without any software (cuz i just reinstalled lion) and the battery life is ok, capacity is ok so somethings wrong but I dont wanna travel and waste 200$ to check it and get a: "The battery is fine, we cant do anything" and waste travel money
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Is spotlight still indexing? I spent a long time getting battery life back after installing lion. To be honest, you're getting about 50% greater than I did at first. Watch activity monitor carefully, keep an eye on long running processes. Something IS running in the background.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

Good point, Dysfunction. Also, make sure Bluetooth is turned off (unless you need it) and check to see what network processes are running.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
sarremiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Is spotlight still indexing? I spent a long time getting battery life back after installing lion. To be honest, you're getting about 50% greater than I did at first. Watch activity monitor carefully, keep an eye on long running processes. Something IS running in the background.
I dont know whats the indexing of Spotlight and I watch activity monitor all day, but there's nothing out of normal, i just reinstalled Lion so there's no "hungry" processes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM Loss | Added RAM now mouse/cursor is frozen! »