New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

15 MBP (late 2011) or 15 MBP (mid 2012) PLEASE HELP!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
JimboAK

 
Member Since: Jul 12, 2012
Posts: 5
JimboAK is on a distinguished road

JimboAK is offline
Hey Everyone,
I am new to this forum, and also new to Mac. Ive always wanted a MB but felt i never had a reason for one. So my PC has always been enough. Until I started getting into video, and HD video editing. I knew it meant it was time to take the plunge and upgrade to a MBP. Since the apple store closest to me is like an hour and a half and I wanted a MB yesterday lol I just went and checked them out at best buy. I first was looking into buying a iMac because I was under the impression they were better than MBP. But i then learned the processor differences and realized a MBP was the way to go. I then found out that there was an open box late 2011 MBP on sale at best buy for $1400 +tax originally $1799. And for those who don't know open box just means it was returned within 30 days. But has been checked by best buys geek squad and set back to factory defaults. So basically brand new. I figured it was a good deal, and knew I could upgrade the memory and even to a SSD and still be saving money than buying a brand new mid 2012 MBP 15".
The MB i bought is great and i love it. Until recently when i really started to edit hd videos and running multiple programs to "put it through its paces" have i noticed some bits of lag and hiccups. Its made me unsure now if i made the right decision. Taking into consideration I still haven't upgraded anything on this computer as its only a couple weeks old to me. So I still have a week or so to return this computer to best buy.
I just need help deciding if it would be a better idea to return this one and pay the $4-500 extra for the 2012 brand new model or just upgrade the 2011 model as much as I can. I need a machine thats not going to lag or freeze on me, but I also am not rich so if I can still save a few hundred and get the performance i need then thats perfect.

Any help, information, or feedback at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,426
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
I have never had much luck with "open box" items from Best Buy. The "Geeks" there really don't do what they're supposed to do when accepting returns. I usually avoid open box high priced items from them.... although sometimes you can get a bargain that way.

It's really up to you what to do. But if you're feeling buyer's remorse, return it and instead go to your local Apple store and buy the 2012 model.
QUOTE Thanks
JimboAK

 
Member Since: Jul 12, 2012
Posts: 5
JimboAK is on a distinguished road

JimboAK is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have never had much luck with "open box" items from Best Buy. The "Geeks" there really don't do what they're supposed to do when accepting returns. I usually avoid open box high priced items from them.... although sometimes you can get a bargain that way.

It's really up to you what to do. But if you're feeling buyer's remorse, return it and instead go to your local Apple store and buy the 2012 model.

Yes your probably right with that. And i kept that in mind. However i was/am pleased with the performance of this machine. Even with the small hiccup i recently experienced. Im just wondering performance wise is it worth going with the new 2012 MB
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 749
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
will you be able to get a ssd and install it into the macbook pro, if you can upgrade your memory also?
The idea is within the week time, with these 2 upgrades still gives your concern, then return it.
On the bright side you can buy apple care within the first year and carry 2 more years of warranty, total warranty will be 3 years from original purchase. Hopefully the upgrades will do the work for you and save some bucks. It is not much difference between 2011 and 2012 machines. Ram may be different though.

Just my 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
That seems rather over priced. Looking at classifieds near me but it's expected I guess.

I'd def choose the 2012 model.

Go for retina if u have the money.
Or go for non retina mbp 15 base model. Which u can always upgrade. Next model of non R costs same as base retina.

Another note about iMacs vs mbp. Portability is an option with the latter.
QUOTE Thanks
JimboAK

 
Member Since: Jul 12, 2012
Posts: 5
JimboAK is on a distinguished road

JimboAK is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
That seems rather over priced. Looking at classifieds near me but it's expected I guess.

I'd def choose the 2012 model.

Go for retina if u have the money.
Or go for non retina mbp 15 base model. Which u can always upgrade. Next model of non R costs same as base retina.

Another note about iMacs vs mbp. Portability is an option with the latter.
Yeah I mean it still wasn't cheap, but I figured for basically a brand new computer 1400 wasn't bad. But I'm feeling now I want to return this one and go with a new 2012 not only for better specs. But also peace of mind knowing its BRAND NEW.

I would love the retina model however idk that I want to spend another $800 on top of what I've already spent mainly because I'm eventually going to buy a thunderbolt monitor. So I don't care for a retina display on my laptop. And yeah I know the specs are a little better but i feel the base model 15 2012 will be just fine.

Do you think it makes a difference buying a new MB from Best Buy or Apple directly? Aside from different protection plans obviously.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Jim
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboAK View Post
Yeah I mean it still wasn't cheap, but I figured for basically a brand new computer 1400 wasn't bad. But I'm feeling now I want to return this one and go with a new 2012 not only for better specs. But also peace of mind knowing its BRAND NEW.

I would love the retina model however idk that I want to spend another $800 on top of what I've already spent mainly because I'm eventually going to buy a thunderbolt monitor. So I don't care for a retina display on my laptop. And yeah I know the specs are a little better but i feel the base model 15 2012 will be just fine.

Do you think it makes a difference buying a new MB from Best Buy or Apple directly? Aside from different protection plans obviously.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Jim
Smart move. I always buy from apple. Best buy don't know as much when it comes to apple(in my experience)

One thing to consider the mbp non R for 1799 only has half a gb of dedicated ram. If you do anything graphic intense the full 1gb is worth it.

Keep us posted.
QUOTE Thanks
JimboAK

 
Member Since: Jul 12, 2012
Posts: 5
JimboAK is on a distinguished road

JimboAK is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
Smart move. I always buy from apple. Best buy don't know as much when it comes to apple(in my experience)

One thing to consider the mbp non R for 1799 only has half a gb of dedicated ram. If you do anything graphic intense the full 1gb is worth it.

Keep us posted.
Yeah if possible ill buy from Apple, if not ill just get it brand new at Best Buy if thats the route I'm going to go. Just because its easier to obtain From Best Buy since its 2 minutes down the road from me.

So am i really going to see a big difference good or bad if I only have 512 mb as opposed to 1 gb in the $2199 version? Because if I will be ok with just the base model then i would rather do that to save some money. The 2011 model I'm using now has done everything I've asked it to do so far. So if its not tremendously different/better than this (that being the 2199$ model) then ill prob just go with the base model. Also that dedicated ram isn't upgradeable correct?

Thanks for the feedback!

-Jim
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboAK View Post
Yeah if possible ill buy from Apple, if not ill just get it brand new at Best Buy if thats the route I'm going to go. Just because its easier to obtain From Best Buy since its 2 minutes down the road from me.

So am i really going to see a big difference good or bad if I only have 512 mb as opposed to 1 gb in the $2199 version? Because if I will be ok with just the base model then i would rather do that to save some money. The 2011 model I'm using now has done everything I've asked it to do so far. So if its not tremendously different/better than this (that being the 2199$ model) then ill prob just go with the base model. Also that dedicated ram isn't upgradeable correct?

Thanks for the feedback!

-Jim
If you do a lot of graphic things, I.e photo video editing playing games. You'll notice a huge diff between the 512mb graphics card vs the 1gb. It really depends what your doing..

That was problem. I was going get the non retina base model for 1799. Then decided I needed the full 1gb dedicated graphics card. So I ordered a mbp 15 non retina 2.6 model for 2199 then exchanged it for a mbp retina base model. Been great, load times are 5x times. And it's a pound thinner it's great.

However if your not graphic intense user 512mb should work well.
QUOTE Thanks
JimboAK

 
Member Since: Jul 12, 2012
Posts: 5
JimboAK is on a distinguished road

JimboAK is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
If you do a lot of graphic things, I.e photo video editing playing games. You'll notice a huge diff between the 512mb graphics card vs the 1gb. It really depends what your doing..

That was problem. I was going get the non retina base model for 1799. Then decided I needed the full 1gb dedicated graphics card. So I ordered a mbp 15 non retina 2.6 model for 2199 then exchanged it for a mbp retina base model. Been great, load times are 5x times. And it's a pound thinner it's great.

However if your not graphic intense user 512mb should work well.
Well thats just it. I am in fact doing a lot of graphic things. Mainly HD video editing. Which is the main resin i purchased the MB. And I was due for an upgrade on my notebook period. I have already done some HD video editing on this MB (late 2011) and besides the brief lag hiccup i experienced the other day it pretty much works just as I hoped.

Now saving money is my first priority. So if getting the base model 1799$ MB isn't going to be better than what I have now, nor capable of doing HD editing as a reasonable speed then i will consider the next step up. However if i can get the 1799$ version and upgrade the memory and possibly a SSD down the road and have that run fast enough i will be happy with that. Because i mean if we are just talking the 1799$ will be fast with those upgrades, but the $2199 version will just be a little bit faster then i think i could live with the 1799$ model. However if your telling me that I just won't be able to live with the $1799 models performance (i.e.: that its just going to be so slow it just won't be tolerable) then I will consider the $2199 model.

All I'm really after here is a machine thats going to be able to edit HD video at a reasonable pace, and at the same time not break my bank. And also a machine that will still perform the same in a few years time.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Jim
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboAK View Post
Well thats just it. I am in fact doing a lot of graphic things. Mainly HD video editing. Which is the main resin i purchased the MB. And I was due for an upgrade on my notebook period. I have already done some HD video editing on this MB (late 2011) and besides the brief lag hiccup i experienced the other day it pretty much works just as I hoped.

Now saving money is my first priority. So if getting the base model 1799$ MB isn't going to be better than what I have now, nor capable of doing HD editing as a reasonable speed then i will consider the next step up. However if i can get the 1799$ version and upgrade the memory and possibly a SSD down the road and have that run fast enough i will be happy with that. Because i mean if we are just talking the 1799$ will be fast with those upgrades, but the $2199 version will just be a little bit faster then i think i could live with the 1799$ model. However if your telling me that I just won't be able to live with the $1799 models performance (i.e.: that its just going to be so slow it just won't be tolerable) then I will consider the $2199 model.

All I'm really after here is a machine thats going to be able to edit HD video at a reasonable pace, and at the same time not break my bank. And also a machine that will still perform the same in a few years time.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Jim

Hi Jim,

I strongly believe you need the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory over the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory. Specifically with what you told me.

Now, you have a few choices. either way I believe the best course of action is returning the 2011 model from best buy.

choice 1 you could get the 1799 model with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB. however i strongly think you will regret that move.

considering you told me you want this laptop to last for a few years. next choice will be to either pick up the 2.6 model of the non retina for 2199 or the base model retina (same price)

Things to keep in mind you can't upgrade the ram with the retina. so if you want 16 you have to get it now. you can do so with the non retina.

I believe if you got the retina (or non retina and upgraded to SSD drive) your video editing will run completely smooth and very fast. SSD is about 4 or 5x faster than HDD.

so if you want the most out of your money get the 2199 version. however if money if tight remember theres the 1799 version lacking the full 1GB graphics card. (thats need for video editing

keep in mind you can save 200 off the 2199 version for school discount.

best of luck!

any more questions feel free to ask.
hope i was able to help.

p.s. I was at first very hesitant with not getting the retina (due to a lot of negative comments) until I took one home and loved it since.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
Jim, any update for us?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« RAM needed for MS Office + IBM Lotus Notes 8.5 | Backing Up Hard Drive »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MBP late 2011 15" Temperatures dooley13 Apple Notebooks 2 03-31-2012 04:24 PM
Issues with late 2011 MBP 15 intel i5 running Lion. Mooseknuckles Apple Notebooks 0 03-16-2012 11:54 PM
Can't boot 2011 MBP from external drive created with a 2010 MBP hotcheese Apple Notebooks 9 05-27-2011 06:42 PM
2010 MBP i5 15" vs 2011 MBP i5 13" bentharbour Apple Notebooks 9 05-10-2011 07:57 PM
Late 2008 MBP Unibody - Boot Camp drivers off the CD? Hat-Rack Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 12-08-2008 01:54 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?