New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help - old macbook pro likes my SSD, new one doesn't?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slipperydip

slipperydip is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone... need some help here, getting the OSX "prohibitory sign" (circle with slash - ghostbusters style) when I try to boot up my new mac with a Vertex 2 SATA II SSD I've been using without issues in a slightly older MBP.

I'm upgrading from a 2.2GHz 15" MBP that I bought over a year ago to a new 2.7GHz 15" MBP (non retina) that I just bought.

I've been using the OCZ Vertex 2 256GB SSD in my (old) MBP and thought I could just switch it into my new MBP.... happy to rebuild Lion if necessary, but I'm not getting that far - I just get the prohibitory sign....

When I put the SSD into the new macbook, there's a sort of higher-than-normal-pitch whine sound on start up, and then I get a circle with a slash through it.

I tried booting off a Lion USB stick (which I know works) but I still get the circle with a slash... it's like there's something incompatible about this OCZ Vertex 2 SSD with the new mac. Is that possible/likely?

I did a few tests like I put the SSD back in my old MBP, and it works fine (I'm writing this post using that setup) and also the new 750GB 5200rpm drive works fine in both machines - ie. there's no hardware issue with the new MBP, it's isolated to the SSD in that machine.

I saw somewhere that PRAM and NVRAM can be connected to this, so I did a reset of those by holding Command, Option, P, and R on boot - but it still does the circle with the slash through it.

Anyone got some suggestions? I need to get the new macbook up and running so I can sell my old one and improve my cashflow situation!

Thanks...

Update: I updated the firmware on the vertex 2, it's still doing the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

can you run the ssd externally from the new mbp ?
hold the option key when chime sounds, See how it works.
OR
must have something to do with the firmware
check the link OCZ Technology
QUOTE Thanks
slipperydip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
can you run the ssd externally from the new mbp ?
hold the option key when chime sounds, See how it works.
OR
must have something to do with the firmware
check the link OCZ Technology
I don't have an enclosure here to test it externally unfortunately... this I should try to upgrade the firmware on the SSD... is that likely to be the cause?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

looks like your ssd is sata 3, should not matter which mbp you use.
It helps with an external enclosure to monitor how the new ssd works.
or you can press option key when the chime sounds with the lion osx media in,
to load the osx see how it works.
forget about the firmware right now.
QUOTE Thanks
slipperydip

It says SATA II on it...

I updated the firmware, still not working.

Anyone else got ideas??
QUOTE Thanks
slipperydip

Quote:
or you can press option key when the chime sounds with the lion osx media in,
to load the osx see how it works.
forget about the firmware right now.
No, I can't - I get a circle with a slash if I try to boot off the USB drive too - there's something incompatible about the SSD I guess, is SATA II not compatible with the new (non retina) MBP??
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

i know intel and samsung ssd sata 2 good for 2011 mbp. 2012 should be good also.
QUOTE Thanks
slipperydip

thanks - but that doesn't help me

anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using my macbook air as an external display to PC | Where can I get an additional power source for my MacBook Pro? »