New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Bootcamp Windows 7 OEM, retail?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tolinrome

tolinrome is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I just purchased a Macbook pro and need to run Windows 7 on it as well. This is my first MAC and I'm very happy with my purchase and need to learn it. I've read some posts that seem to conflict on how Windows should be installed on the mac regarding OEM and full retail version, its seems I cant find a straight answer. Some say it wont work technically if you install the OEM version, some say it will, some say it's legal which others say the contrary. I understand that an OEM version of Windows should only stay on the first machine it's installed on and if the machine dies, so does the OEM. But since my MAC doesnt have Windows on it yet can it not be considered OEM, or do I need to purchase the Windows 7 full retail version?
Can someone please give me advice on how I can proceed? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You can use either OEM or retail. It doesn't matter.

Technically, OEM is supposed to be installed on a new PC - and when it is, the license is tied to that hardware (in other words, you can't install it on any other piece of hardware). So, if you wanted to try it first on a virtual machine (like in VMWare Fusion or Parallels) and later opted for Boot Camp, you might have some trouble with product activation. But I don't think it's a showstopper either way.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Just buy it. The OEM version was bought and paid for with another machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery life after a year PLEASE HELP | overheating »