Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Replacing battery?
    I have a 15 inch MBP I got in 2009.

    It's now telling me I need to replace the battery. I did some research and saw I could replace the battery fairly easily.

    Where can I buy a battery and is there any tutorials I can watch on how to do this?[I want to make sure I fully know what to do before I buy the battery and start trying to replace it]

    The model identifier on my mac says it's a 5,3 if that helps.

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,524
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Other World Computing sells replacement batteries that are as good and in some cases exceed those sold by Apple. There are numerous videos available on YouTube and also elsewhere that show how to replace the battery. A search with Google should find some for you.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Other World Computing sells replacement batteries that are as good and in some cases exceed those sold by Apple. There are numerous videos available on YouTube and also elsewhere that show how to replace the battery. A search with Google should find some for you.
    Do you think doing it myself is going to be cheaper than the apple store?

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,860
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverandalway View Post
    I have a 15 inch MBP I got in 2009.

    It's now telling me I need to replace the battery. I did some research and saw I could replace the battery fairly easily.

    Where can I buy a battery and is there any tutorials I can watch on how to do this?[I want to make sure I fully know what to do before I buy the battery and start trying to replace it]

    The model identifier on my mac says it's a 5,3 if that helps.
    Does your MBP have the battery that just pops out...or is it the technically "non-user replaceable" battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at it?

    If it's the battery that just pops out...then the link (OWC) that "chscag" provided will do the trick.

    If it's the type of battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at...then go to:

    - Mac Repair

    ...for a replacement battery

    And go to:

    - iFixit: The free repair manual

    ...for the assembly/disassembly procedure.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Does your MBP have the battery that just pops out...or is it the technically "non-user replaceable" battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at it?

    If it's the battery that just pops out...then the link (OWC) that "chscag" provided will do the trick.

    If it's the type of battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at...then go to:

    - Mac Repair

    ...for a replacement battery

    And go to:

    - iFixit: The free repair manual

    ...for the assembly/disassembly procedure.

    - Nick
    I'm not sure exactly. But I'm pretty sure I have to take the bottom off to access the battery.

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,860
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverandalway View Post
    I'm not sure exactly. But I'm pretty sure I have to take the bottom off to access the battery.
    It's not very difficult to figure out...it's like night & day. The battery either comes out VERY easily (without having to open up the computer)...or you cannot directly access the battery.

    If you do not know the answer to this question at the "drop of a hat" (and your MacBook Pro has the "technically" non-user replaceable battery)...then there's probably no way you should be opening up your own computer to attempt the replacement.

    This question is kind of like someone who has an Apple & an Orange in front of them...and someone asks you to pick up the Apple. If you don't know which fruit is the Apple immediately...then maybe you should be eating banana's!

    You've had this computer since 2009...you really should know if the battery is easily removable or not by now!

    The answer to this question makes a BIG BIG difference on how you proceed.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2011
    Posts
    751
    Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    pig003 is right you have to know how to access the battery.
    you probably have to replace the undercover of mbp
    this is what you can do to get the battery replaced.Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2009 Battery - iFixit

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    It's not very difficult to figure out...it's like night & day. The battery either comes out VERY easily (without having to open up the computer)...or you cannot directly access the battery.

    If you do not know the answer to this question at the "drop of a hat" (and your MacBook Pro has the "technically" non-user replaceable battery)...then there's probably no way you should be opening up your own computer to attempt the replacement.

    This question is kind of like someone who has an Apple & an Orange in front of them...and someone asks you to pick up the Apple. If you don't know which fruit is the Apple immediately...then maybe you should be eating banana's!

    You've had this computer since 2009...you really should know if the battery is easily removable or not by now!

    The answer to this question makes a BIG BIG difference on how you proceed.

    - Nick
    After doing some research and looking at the links everyone posted I know I have to take the bottom out. I just got confused about the removable battery and where it was located because I hadn't ever seen pictures. But after seeing pictures I know.

    I looked at the ifixit page about replacing it and it seems fairly simple. Just removing the screws.

    Is it really that much cheaper than the apple store to do it? Given, that they battery is going to cost me $100.

  9. #9

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,860
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverandalway View Post

    I looked at the ifixit page about replacing it and it seems fairly simple. Just removing the screws.
    Replacing the MacBook Pro internal battery actually is a fairly easy process...but then again...it also depends on a person's confidence & experience doing such things.

    You do need a special tri-blade screwdriver to remove the battery mounting screws.. They're not too expensive...but it's NOT a screwdriver most folks have.

    Quote Originally Posted by foreverandalway View Post
    Is it really that much cheaper than the apple store to do it? Given, that they battery is going to cost me $100.
    Here's what I could find regarding battery replacement costs:

    Apple - Support - Replacing the Battery in your MacBook (Models with built-in batteries)

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  10. #10

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,894
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I was going to pass on by, but had to put in my 2 cents worth.

    Do yourself a favor and call your Apple Store and get a quote from them on replacing the battery. I'm with Nick on recommending repairs based on people's confidence and/or experience.
    I am betting by the time you buy the battery and screwdriver set you won't be saving all that much. Why risk serious damage to a Mac that is still worth a lot more than the cost of a battery?

    EDIT: Just looked at Nick's link and it looks like you potentially could save yourself around $20
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing MacBook Pro battery?
    By gizmo8899 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 02:46 AM
  2. Battery needs replacing soon?
    By Scoobie Newbie in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 03:47 AM
  3. Does my battery need replacing?
    By oliverjackson in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 04:02 PM
  4. Replacing the battery in an iMac DV
    By 2dmention in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
  5. Replacing An iMac G3 Battery
    By NJ Tom in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •