Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Aug 15, 2011
    Posts
    373
    Specs:
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    Ram gets used up fast before restarting.
    Ok so here's the deal. I usually never restart my macbook pro i5 8gb of ram. Every now and then I open a big application like Eclipse, Minecraft, etc. After I'm done I close it. This goes on for a long time. Then one day I find my self opening Minecraft or any other application and im bottlenecking like crazy!! After restarting my ram is back to normal and I have plenty to use.

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,771
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    Ok so here's the deal. I usually never restart my macbook pro i5 8gb of ram. Every now and then I open a big application like Eclipse, Minecraft, etc. After I'm done I close it. This goes on for a long time. Then one day I find my self opening Minecraft or any other application and im bottlenecking like crazy!! After restarting my ram is back to normal and I have plenty to use.
    Yes...I totally agree with everything you said...and restarting the computer is definitely a way to fix/improve things.

    Was this a "helpful hint" for everyone?...or was there a question?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Aug 15, 2011
    Posts
    373
    Specs:
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Yes...I totally agree with everything you said...and restarting the computer is definitely a way to fix/improve things.

    Was this a "helpful hint" for everyone?...or was there a question?

    - Nick
    We'll kinda both haha, I wanted to know how to stop these programs from taking up ram when I'm not using them. Or the reason why it does this.

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,771
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    I wanted to know how to stop these programs from taking up ram when I'm not using them.
    The easy solution is (if you're not using the program) is quit the program...and relaunch it when necessary.

    Even with 8gig of ram...if you have too many programs open at once...the ram will get "used up"...and thus slow things down.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Aug 15, 2011
    Posts
    373
    Specs:
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    The easy solution is (if you're not using the program) is quit the program...and relaunch it when necessary.

    Even with 8gig of ram...if you have too many programs open at once...the ram will get "used up"...and thus slow things down.

    - Nick
    The thing is, i do quit the programs...

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,771
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    The thing is, i do quit the programs...
    Then restarting the computer is a solution. Not really that big of a deal...considering that you don't have to do it that often.

    What's a whole 2-3 minutes of your life every couple days or once/week (maybe even longer)!

    Just restart the computer...then go to the bathroom, get something to eat, or just stand up, walk around, and do some stretching!!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Aug 15, 2011
    Posts
    373
    Specs:
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Then restarting the computer is a solution. Not really that big of a deal...considering that you don't have to do it that often.

    What's a whole 2-3 minutes of your life every couple days or once/week (maybe even longer)!

    Just restart the computer...then go to the bathroom, get something to eat, or just stand up, walk around, and do some stretching!!

    - Nick
    ya i think the reason things pile up in my activity monitor is because I am executing tons of things in terminal like using gcc and stuff.

  8. #8

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Are you running Lion by chance?

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Aug 15, 2011
    Posts
    373
    Specs:
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Are you running Lion by chance?
    No I'm running Snow Leopard

  10. #10

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Interesting as I never really had that issue with SL, just Lion and especially if a lot of Flash is used for Videos and Games.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Aug 15, 2011
    Posts
    373
    Specs:
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Interesting as I never really had that issue with SL, just Lion and especially if a lot of Flash is used for Videos and Games.
    We'll ya SL definitely uses tons of flash in Google Chrome. But, that may just be Google Chrome's fault. Anyway when I restart the computer i notice a lot less things running in activity monitor. The ram probably builds up as I use the computer and uses things that I don't even know about.

  12. #12

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    We'll ya SL definitely uses tons of flash in Google Chrome. But, that may just be Google Chrome's fault. Anyway when I restart the computer i notice a lot less things running in activity monitor. The ram probably builds up as I use the computer and uses things that I don't even know about.
    What I am saying is in SL the Ram releases faster here and things go back to normal.

    Can you make a list of the processes that build up over time and post it here? Maybe there is something that should not be!

  13. #13

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,771
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    I usually never restart my macbook pro i5 8gb of ram.

    After restarting my ram is back to normal and I have plenty to use.
    I think that it would help everyone understand your usage patterns if you tell us how often you restart/reboot your computer.

    You said that "I usually never restart my MacBook Pro...". "Never" can be a VERY long time...so when you do the rare restart...how much time are we talking between restarts (days, weeks, months)?

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Aug 15, 2011
    Posts
    373
    Specs:
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I think that it would help everyone understand your usage patterns if you tell us how often you restart/reboot your computer.

    You said that "I usually never restart my MacBook Pro...". "Never" can be a VERY long time...so when you do the rare restart...how much time are we talking between restarts (days, weeks, months)?

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    We'll like i said I rarely restart. The only reason I would restart is my macbook pro is bottlenecking or i am updating it. No other reasons to restart really.

  15. #15

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,771
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    We'll like i said I rarely restart. The only reason I would restart is my macbook pro is bottlenecking or i am updating it. No other reasons to restart really.
    So how long are we talking?...just a guestimate is ok.

    Let me give you my example. I have a 17" MacBook Pro with 4 gig of ram...and I restart it at least 2x/week. My swap file size & page-outs just get too high, things slow down too much, and I sometimes get frequent "beach-balls".

    Right now my:

    - page-outs are at 646.1 megabytes
    - swap file size is 1.33 gigabyte
    - free ram (the green wedge) is only 14.1 megabytes (barely see any "green" on the Activity Monitor pie chart)

    With more ram...you don't need to restart as often. For example...with a Mac Pro that I used to have (with 12gig of ram)...I hardly ever had to restart/reboot.

    - Nick

    p.s. I'm running OS 10.6.8.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 4G of ram + Penryn iMac = FAST!
    By ErikJenkins1187 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 05:22 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
  3. Sunrise 1.0 Released! Fast, Fast, Fast Browser
    By mac57 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 11:21 PM
  4. XP keeps restarting?
    By dayal in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
  5. Sometimes Incredibly Fast Startup, Other Times Not So Fast
    By geekboy2000 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •