New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is this making my macbook pro run slow?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewtotheMacs

NewtotheMacs is on a distinguished road

I only have 9.43 GB left, but was told that wouldn't make my computer run slow. It seems to be lagging. Sometimes my dock will freeze. I

Is my System Memory making my macbook pro 5,5 (Mid 2009) run slow, or does that look normal?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Hard drive space is not system memory. However, with only 9 GB left out of 160 GB you can bet that it has slowed your system down. No room for paging and moving files means everything will be slow and possibly freeze. Buy a new large hard drive and clone your old drive to the new one.
QUOTE Thanks
NewtotheMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Hard drive space is not system memory. However, with only 9 GB left out of 160 GB you can bet that it has slowed your system down. No room for paging and moving files means everything will be slow and possibly freeze. Buy a new large hard drive and clone your old drive to the new one.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I've cleared my internet cache as well as my desktop. You think that will help too?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Make sure you have emptied the Trash after deleting, as deleting files doesn't free up HD space until the Trash Can is emptied.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
NewtotheMacs

So any recommendations on a hard drive upgrade for a MacBook Pro 5,5?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheMacs View Post
So any recommendations on a hard drive upgrade for a MacBook Pro 5,5?
Yes...the recommendation would be to get a larger hard drive!

Check these guys out:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-.../2.5-Notebook/

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
NewtotheMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes...the recommendation would be to get a larger hard drive!

Check these guys out:

2.5" Laptop Hard Drives & SSD for MacBook, PowerBook, iBook, and PC Laptop/NoteBook systems Serial ATA & IDE/ATA

- Nick
Thanks, Nick. I've heard of OWC before.

So if I upgrade to >>>>> 2 x 4.0GB PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz 204 Pin

it will significantly speed up my macbook pro 5,5?

Also, is OWC the best place to buy hard drive upgrades for macs?

Weapon: Macbook Pro 5,5 (Mid-2009)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Thanks, Nick. I've heard of OWC before.

So if I upgrade to >>>>> 2 x 4.0GB PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz 204 Pin

it will significantly speed up my macbook pro 5,5?
Many times upgrading the ram won't "speed up" a computer (unless the computer has a pitifully small amount of ram)...since "speed" or performance is really based on the speed of the cpu...and the quality of the graphics hardware.

What a ram upgrade will do...is make your computer less susceptible to slowing down.

Quote:
Also, is OWC the best place to buy hard drive upgrades for macs?
Hard drives really are a commodity. There are only a handful of HD manufacturers...so (for example) a 500gig Hitachi hard drive purchased from any retailer will be the same. OWC (being a Mac-specific store), just makes it easy for a Mac-user to select an HD and order it. OWC also has reasonable shipping rates, and a great hassle free return policy.

So you may be able to find an HD for your computer cheaper somewhere else...but with OWC...if you have a problem...their customer service is very helpful & flexible with returns. And OWC's shipping rates may be lower.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
NewtotheMacs

I think I'm upgrading for sure
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Post moved to previous thread.

Please don't start a new thread on the same topic. If you have additional questions, just post them here.

FWIW RAM is relatively cheap and I would always suggest pumping it up to the max for your system (I don't know if the RAM you list is the correct for your Mac).

What you really need is more HD space, either by replacing your HD or deleting files.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
NewtotheMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Many times upgrading the ram won't "speed up" a computer (unless the computer has a pitifully small amount of ram)...since "speed" or performance is really based on the speed of the cpu...and the quality of the graphics hardware.

What a ram upgrade will do...is make your computer less susceptible to slowing down.

Hard drives really are a commodity. There are only a handful of HD manufacturers...so (for example) a 500gig Hitachi hard drive purchased from any retailer will be the same. OWC (being a Mac-specific store), just makes it easy for a Mac-user to select an HD and order it. OWC also has reasonable shipping rates, and a great hassle free return policy.

So you may be able to find an HD for your computer cheaper somewhere else...but with OWC...if you have a problem...their customer service is very helpful & flexible with returns. And OWC's shipping rates may be lower.

- Nick
You're awesome. Thanks SO much for your feedback. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the 8GB upgrade. I don't know if I need all that memory though.

Weapon: Macbook Pro 5,5 (Mid-2009)
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
You're awesome. Thanks SO much for your feedback. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the 8GB upgrade. I don't know if I need all that memory though.
Look at it as future proofing your Mac. As the years go by the Apps out there will require more RAM so what your doing is a good thing.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with used ibook g4 | Ibook g4 warped screen bezel »