New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP doesnt recognize my internal HD. But will boot from it when connected to USB!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Odatria

Odatria is on a distinguished road

My 13"MBP (2.53 Core2 Duo with 4gb Ram) booted to the folder with a flashing question mark one morning. I did my research and tried all of the fixes with no success. So I took the HD out and put it in an enclosure kit and connected it via USB. This is not the original HD as I upgraded two years ago. It is a Seagate 7200 500gb. When connected to USB the MBP booted as it normally would. So I know the HD is good. To be sure, I reinstalled the original HD with the same results. Not recognized internally, but boots right up when connected externally. How should I proceed? Hopefully I included enough information. If not, feel free to lmk what info you might need to help me.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odatria View Post
My 13"MBP (2.53 Core2 Duo with 4gb Ram) booted to the folder with a flashing question mark one morning. I did my research and tried all of the fixes with no success. So I took the HD out and put it in an enclosure kit and connected it via USB. This is not the original HD as I upgraded two years ago. It is a Seagate 7200 500gb. When connected to USB the MBP booted as it normally would. So I know the HD is good. To be sure, I reinstalled the original HD with the same results. Not recognized internally, but boots right up when connected externally. How should I proceed? Hopefully I included enough information. If not, feel free to lmk what info you might need to help me.

Thanks in advance!
try finder dock will show 'untitled' on left side or utility with disk utility should show the internal drive on left side.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Since you have verified with multiple drives, either 1 of 2 things has happened. Your SATA controller where the hard drive is connected is dead or the flex cable for the hard drive is broken. The later is a fairly cheap and easy fix, the SATA controller, if that is the problem is going to be costly because you'll have to replace the entire logic board.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Odatria

Thank you, but the drive isn't listed in either location you mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
Odatria

Stretch, would you suggest that I replace the flex cable first to confirm? Also, if it is the logic board would there not be other symptoms?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Yeah, the flex cable would be what I tried first. As for the logic board having other issue, not necessarily. The SATA controller for that drive bay may be dead, but the rest of the computer will continue working like normal. If the flex cable doesn't fix the issue, you may be able to remove your optical drive, and put the hard drive in that location.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Odatria

Thanks for the advice! I replaced the flex cable tonight and that did the trick! The strange thing is that the original drive AND the flex cable are both dead. But it's working with new cable and new drive. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting a used MacBook pro | mac book pro screen »