New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Why Does Java Slow My MacBook to a CRAWL?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kjr_21

kjr_21 is on a distinguished road

Hello all, I would greatly appreciate some help on this issue as I have not the slightest idea on how to solve it.

Using java on my MacBook pro seems to be slowing it down to an absolute crawl, to the point where the computer is basically unusable, (Google Chrome asks me to "kill" websites because they are no longer responding, webpages in general take 2+ minutes to load up). Both the internet, and all applications on my computer become very, very, VERY slow while running Java.

Also, the computer becomes very hot, and the fan becomes very noisy.

This only recently began, so I'm sure it has something to do with the java update that was released in June of this year, although I'm not sure. I've considered trying to downgrade to an earlier version of Java but I have had trouble doing this.

It does not matter which browser I'm using, (Safari, Chrome, Firefox), the same result occurs.

I'm running OS X 10.6 and have the latest version of Java.

Can anyone help me so that I can use java and NOT have my computer slow down?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

What is it that you're doing that requires Java? It's pretty rare these days.

Is there a specific site that you need to use that requires a Java applet? Could you just disable Java, or not visit that site at all?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What's the web application that you're trying to use?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying to revive a dead mac | Getting new MacBook Pro Retina vs. some other random laptop »