New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook harddrive replacment

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

project2c

project2c is on a distinguished road

Hi guys my MacBook hardrive has died so I'm looking on advice for a replacement have been looking at a few but unsure as what to go for, 5400/7200 etc. any advice would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
BSD Meister

BSD Meister is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.

If possible and affordable you'll want to look for the highest speed drive and the biggest cache possible, and of course it needs to be SATA. The true throughput of a drive is limited more by the size of the cache than the speed. Most redundant data (that which is accessed a lot) is put into the cache, and the bigger the cache the faster the response will be, unless you're using it to load extremely large files like video that will overwhelm the cache, then you might want to favor rotational speed over cache size.

It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. Hard drives, even 2.5 in units are cheap these days.
QUOTE Thanks
project2c

Hi mate thanks, I sorta understand that bit I'm looking advice on which brands to go with and which not. Having you any particular ones in mind? My budget would be 100
QUOTE Thanks
BSD Meister

BSD Meister is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.

I can safely tell you that I've bought about 15 Western Digitals in my life, and never had a single problem with any of them. I've bough many Seagate's as well with no problems. The only drive I've really had what I felt were premature problems was a Maxtor internal HD. I have and external Maxtor HD that's been great.

Many of these companies I've used over the past 20 years have bought each other up. For example, if you do a web search for Maxtor, the site hosting them is Seagate.

Drives can vary considerably based on model numbers and families. I think what you really want to look for are specific models that might have problems with your specific unit. Look for links like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

and this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9823370-37.html

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

I've fitted quite a few Seagate Momentus XT 500GB. It's about the best available without going to SSD, and should be within your budget. Ebuyer sell for 62.99.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
project2c

Hi guys thanks for the info, I was looking at the seagate momentus. Will the faster drive reduce battery life or any other problems, the computer is 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by project2c View Post
Hi guys thanks for the info, I was looking at the seagate momentus. Will the faster drive reduce battery life or any other problems, the computer is 2007.
Yes, battery life will suffer, only a problem if you use extensively on battery. Even going from a stock 5400 rpm drive to a 7200 will be noticeable, even more so if the battery is showing its age.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not charging and magsafe LED not coming on | MBA Power Adapter »