New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

help finding right power cable for macbook pro 13"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I have the 13" MB pro purchased maybe 3-4 years ago. The power cable that came with it was magnetic and stuck straight out.
I need a replacement and noticed that the newer models are a different design...they are more of an L shape so do not stick straight out of the computer.

Is this the same power cable that would work with my older computer? Just a different design?

Here are my details....
MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Is this the same power cable that would work with my older computer? Just a different design?
Yes, it's called a "MagSafe Adapter". You'll need to purchase the entire cable plus adapter to replace the older one. You can buy it direct from Apple or at any Best Buy store.
QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

so just an update on this post....I purchased an off brand power cable from ebay for much cheaper than the mac one.
Worked perfectly for about 3 months, but then just stopped

Then just left the base plugged in and did not think anything else about it (not connected to computer).
I randomly touched it and it was so hot! I tried to take it out and it was too hot to touch. Finally got it out of the socket to find the side of the plug end was boiling up and melting. Crazy hot!
I had still been trying to attach the computer end, so I just feel lucky that nothing happened to the computer.
I usually buy off brand gear as the mac products/Canon products are too expensive (have had problems with mac gear in the past as well) and have never had a problem this bad....
Glad no permanent damage, but any idea what would cause such a problem? And would this have put my computer in any harm....off hand thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Never buy off brand, L-sharped apple model #1344 should fit and get it from ebay, ask the seller for this model # and it is 60w magsafe adapter, I would never compromise with cheap imitation apple product for such key part of a computer,
QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

I agree....with such an investment, I should really be using the original manufacturer's product....but the charger is $80 from Apple and $20 from an off brand.
That is just way too much of a difference and in my opinion, being taken advantage of.

For years now, I have been using off brand products for my Canon and Apple and really never had a problem. My apple products have also also had their faults, so they are not perfect either.

Of course this is terrifying when a problem actually does occur; but in what situation would a faulty off brand power cable actually do damage to your laptop? I mean this one just about melted itself down while attached to my mac and there was not a problem with the laptop.

$80 or $20....just way too much of a price difference in a simple power cable. The original one, from mac btw, fell apart on me as well.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightm View Post
$80 or $20....just way too much of a price difference in a simple power cable. The original one, from mac btw, fell apart on me as well.
It sounds like you're not happy with either the Apple product or the non-Apple product. So what are you going to do...throw your MacBook Pro in the trash?? I'm sure you're not going to do that...so you have to buy something.

I currently happen to have about 5-6 Apple power bricks/chargers (and you could add to that about 5-6 from prior MacBook/MacBook Pro's that I've owned and since sold)...and I have had no problems (fingers crossed). That's a total of 10-12 chargers without a problem.

I'm betting that there was either a problem with your prior Apple charger...or something "funky" is going on with your MacBook Pro.

- Nick

p.s. And no...I don't know what could be going on with your computer. Other than it be something with the battery or the mag-safe board (if it has a seperate one).

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airplay Mirroring.... | missing Hard Drive space? »