New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Backup to Clone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

John F

John F will become famous soon enough

My wife is leaving her teaching job. She has a desktop iMac computer and a laptop MacBook supplied by the school. She has to return them both so that they can be fully erased and set up for the teacher who will replacing her. To be sure that we are not missing any important folders or e-mails, I have cloned each computer onto a USB external drive. She will be using a MacBook Air. The USB drive from the iMac plugs into the Mac Air and I can boot from it and run it as if it were the iMac. The drive from the MacBook however will not boot. In Preferences/Startup Disc it does not appear as a choice. I have tried cloning again with Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper but no success.

Any suggestions?

John F
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Simply put the os configuration on the macbook clone will not boot a MacBook Air

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
John F

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Simply put the os configuration on the macbook clone will not boot a MacBook Air
Is there a way around that? The iMac clone has no trouble.

John
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

do you want to bring these users back to your new mac?

What you need to do is this

Rename the users on your teacher's macs, so that say your wife is called alice and she has an alice user account on her own mac (the air)

On the imac rename the user to alice-imac (using the Users and Groups prefs pane)
On the MacBook rename her user account alice-macbook

reclone the school macs again

Then you can use migration assistant on her new Air to bring back those two user accounts without getting a user clash. You can merge any files and folders into her own account at your leisure after giving the school macs back

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
John F

Many thanks, I will work at it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook 13'' not responding to VGA | 2009 MacBook ran out of battery. Doesn't boot up. »