New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Serious Problems Installing SSD MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jasons6930

jasons6930 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I am running a mid2009 MBP with Crucial 8GB ram, SL and 160GB HDD.

I recently bought a Samsung 830 256GB SSD to replace my HDD.

After using CCC, i swapped the drives out but i kept getting major kernel panics and freezing etc and on occasion, would not even get to the desktop.

I then replaced it back with the original HDD and all works fine.

I decided to do a fresh clean install of OSX SL on the SSD with the usb adapter which went fine.

I put the SSD back into my MBP and it still hangs and locks out big time!!!

I have out the original HDD back in to get me up and running again, but i am stumped.

I am guessing it is the drive at fault, but after reading about this, i was wondering if it is the memory (which i have had replaced under warranty before).

Any help appreciated!!

Macbook Pro 13" / OSX 10.6.8 / 8gbRAM/ 2.26 C2D
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Some manufacturers Jason recommend SSD not be cloned, clean install and take everything over with Migration Assistant, and some, Crucial included, provide their own cloning tools. After formatting the drive, one presumes, and doing a clean install, time to takle the matter up with Samsung.

Have had two SSD fail, one a G.Skill Falcon after two days and a Kingston SSNow after six months so they are not foolproof.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jasons6930

Thanks for that.

I found a tutorial from Samsung themselves that said to clone using Disk utility.

The problem that i found with that, was that it would not copy "ACL(?)" files across.

After this, i did an erase on the SSD, and di a brand new clean install of MAC OSX SL.

Even after doing that, and installing the drive back into my MB, it still would freeze solid after a few minutes.

I am going to try it with the stock RAM back in and see if that solves anything, as this seems to be a common issue.

What is really annoying is reading about all the people that have swapped the drives without a single problem!!!!

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

did you boot your mbp using ssd as external drive ? before installing the ssd,
boot up pressing the option key as soon as the chime soon, click on your ssd drive to
see if the external drive (ssd) works.
If okay, then do the install ssd to internal, then install osx to your ssd.
I have done quite a few ssd install not a problem.
My current ssd is samsung 830 ssd. I have mid 2009 with intel ssd doing the ssd install just like you did,
ccc and so on.
I do not believe Ram has anything to do.
If all fail samsung ssd has problem, return or exchange it.
QUOTE Thanks
jasons6930

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
did you boot your mbp using ssd as external drive ? before installing the ssd,
boot up pressing the option key as soon as the chime soon, click on your ssd drive to
see if the external drive (ssd) works.
If okay, then do the install ssd to internal, then install osx to your ssd.
I have done quite a few ssd install not a problem.
My current ssd is samsung 830 ssd. I have mid 2009 with intel ssd doing the ssd install just like you did,
ccc and so on.
I do not believe Ram has anything to do.
If all fail samsung ssd has problem, return or exchange it.
Im just not sure it is the drive though.

I decided to perform another clone, installed the drive and after about 5 mins it froze.

This is in fact my second attempt at doing this reply, but i am now back on all original drives, however, i have booted using the SSD connected via usb and it works perfectly,, no hanging, beachball or crashes.

I would go on from that, and maybe wonder if the SATA cable is damaged, but, everything works fine with the original HDD installed.

Getting frustrated now!!

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

can you exchange the ssd ?
usually the external ssd boot up success is a good sign, half the battle won.
Try once more, with the ssd as external drive erase with disk utility using extended(journaled)
and ccc to copy internal to external drive.
boot up external, if okay, install the ssd as internal then boot up hold option key, install the osx
and go from there. Make sure your sata cable is snag against your ssd drive when installed.
I know it is an easy job to install ssd and the screws under the body must have been turned
a lot, make sure you do not strip them. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
jasons6930

Sorry for the late reply,

However, i have now returned the ssd, and i was hoping they were going to send me a replacement, but they were out of stock so have refunded me in full.

Question is... do i try another samsung or does anyone recommend anything else?

Budget is around 150GBP.

Cheers!

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Realising that all drives, hard and solid state, are liable to failure somewhere along the line, after using Kingston and G.Skill Falco have had a good run for OWC Mercury Electra drives.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

Also the data cables do get brittle with heat and time, so consider replacing the cable at the same time.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jasons6930

Yes, i do realise that all drives will fail at some point, getting them to work from the start is the challenge

Anyway, i have re-ordered a Samsung which i will have tomorrow, so maybe, this one will work.

I did look at the ribbon cable and it looks ok, but as i said, the HDD works perfectly OK installed.

Plus the fact, the only place in the UK that i can get it replaced would be Apple, as there does not seem to be anyone that sells spare parts.

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

Admire your fighting spirit.
So try to get the ssd going.
if not working, do you have relatives or friends that have similar
Mbp ? See if you can install the ssd to their mbp.
It is disturbing that your old hdd works and not ssd.
QUOTE Thanks
jasons6930

No, i am the only one with a MBP.

The rest on the house are original white & black Macbooks.

I ordered the replacement for next day so i should have it tomorrow!!

So, would it better for me to just install the SSD into the MBP and then install OSX from the install disc rather than clone the HDD first?

I guess that way, there should be no bad files copied from the HDD (if there are any).

I could then drag over any important files from the HDD via USB?

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

it would be easier to ccc to ssd externally.
This way you do not have to unscrew the
bottom part of the mbp, make sure the ssd works externally.
be very positive how the new ssd perform externally.
QUOTE Thanks
jasons6930

Ok thanks.

Thing is, the SSD i sent back worked perfectly via USN when i booted from it originally.

It was only when it was actually installed in the MBP that is caused problems.

Please excuse all the simple questions!!!

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

at this point do whatever you feel comfortable with to get the new ssd going.
As the saying goes 'whatever works'.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I will throw this out there just in case. I know there were SATA issues with older MacBooks and faster SATA 3 drives and lockups, pauses, data corruption even. It was due to the SATA 1.5 controller in the Macbook not getting along with faster SATA 3 drives. Some drives had 1.5 jumpers on them and that fixed it for those drives. Not sure if this is your issue with 2009 MBP, but worth consideration just in case.

What made me think of this issue is that the drive works fine in your USB case.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Playing games lag??? | Macbook 1,1 RAM upgrade »