New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

chose mbp with me!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scott_

Scott_ is on a distinguished road

okay I was am still debating on the which mbp 15 is best for me.

i just received my mbp 15 non retina with 2.6 specs customized antiglare.

main use will be photography and gaming. would the 2.3 retina mbp be better one?

I appreciate your responses and willing to reply back.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

It sounds like you have some buyers remorse going on there. In all honesty, I personally feel the MBP non-retina is a better option right now. Reading Anandtech kind of solidified it for me - although an incredible technology, the GPU just isn't quite as powerful as it needs to be to really support the resolution of the display consistently. Specifically this page:

AnandTech - The next-gen MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review

General use is showing very low overall frame rates which is concerning because I don't want to have significant slow down when doing simple things like surfing the web or heaven forbid 1080p editing in FCP. I'd rather have lower resolution and consistent performance than have incredible resolution and crappy performance.

Eventually the GPU's (and for the CPU aspect of the limitations) will get there (there are some higher end GPUs that would probably do better but they would probably generate too much heat in the rMBP)

You also can't get antiglare in Retina currently - that will probably change eventually.

Although from your other post it may seem like Apple is taking a dim view on upgrading ones machine as those are user replaceable parts it shouldn't void the entire warranty (at least from what I read in the warranty the other day after noticing your post) unless the new part causes damage to the machine, at least it can be upgraded or the storage replaced should it fail unlike the new rMBP where if the RAM fails (yes, unlikely) or the SSD failed (more likely then the RAM) you are out of luck until you send it in - at least with the non retina you could go and get an off the shelf replacement and be back up and running in a day.

My opinion is right now the non-retina is a better option. when the mobile GPU (and CPU) become stronger, retina will be IMHO a good option. I'd hate to have to run my display at non-native resolution for everything just to maintain quality performance.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

macmacattack is on a distinguished road

Also if you want to use it for gaming you wouldn't be able to run games at the resolution of the retina screen.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
okay I was am still debating on the which mbp 15 is best for me.

i just received my mbp 15 non retina with 2.6 specs customized antiglare.

main use will be photography and gaming. would the 2.3 retina mbp be better one?

I appreciate your responses and willing to reply back.
Does this mean that if we don't agree with the non-retina MBP purchase...that you're going to return it?

As far as would the retina MBP be a better choice:

- are you ok with no built-in optical drive?
- are you ok with not being able to upgrade the ram after purchase?
- are you ok (at least at the moment) with not being able to upgrade the storage amount after purchase (this could change if a 3rd party manufacturer comes up with a solution)?

These are three areas for thought for the retina vs. non-retina.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Does this mean that if we don't agree with the non-retina MBP purchase...that you're going to return it?

As far as would the retina MBP be a better choice:

- are you ok with no built-in optical drive?
- are you ok with not being able to upgrade the ram after purchase?
- are you ok (at least at the moment) with not being able to upgrade the storage amount after purchase (this could change if a 3rd party manufacturer comes up with a solution)?

These are three areas for thought for the retina vs. non-retina.

HTH,

- Nick
Solid points
QUOTE Thanks
TheAppleKid

TheAppleKid is on a distinguished road

One thing you would want to do is upgrade the RAM in your computer for Photoshop to work as smoothly as it can. 16gb of RAM is a lot better than the stock 4gb
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleKid View Post
One thing you would want to do is upgrade the RAM in your computer for Photoshop to work as smoothly as it can. 16gb of RAM is a lot better than the stock 4gb
16GB is overkill, sure 4 is low but I wouldn't go as far as to say get 16.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

@macmacattack: If getting the retina model, might as well get 16. As the OS develops and applications utilize more and more RAM, getting 16 will extend the life (and resale value) of the retina model - especially considering you can't upgrade the RAM after the fact with Retina.

Now, IMHO a non-retina is a better option right now, but for those plunking down the cash for the Retina (especially the higher end retina) might as well get all that you think you'll need since there is no turning back later.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleKid View Post
Can the current Lion actually use more than 8gig of memory? I was under the impression that is could not. I must be wrong about this limitation?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Pony View Post
Can the current Lion actually use more than 8gig of memory? I was under the impression that is could not. I must be wrong about this limitation?
I don't know WHERE in the world you got that idea. The last max RAM that I had seen tested @ OWC was 128Gig. You can get configured at Apple 64 Gigs of RAM. See:

OWC 128GB MaxRAM Upgrade Unleashes The Performance Beast In Mac Pro With Double The Factory Memory At 49 Percent Lower Cost | Other World Computing Blog

and:

Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

**uodate I returned the mbp 15 non retina antiglare and got base model retina. I had some discounts with apple it only cost me 1799. So I'm very happy. It's amazing how thinner it is.
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
@macmacattack: If getting the retina model, might as well get 16. As the OS develops and applications utilize more and more RAM, getting 16 will extend the life (and resale value) of the retina model - especially considering you can't upgrade the RAM after the fact with Retina.

Now, IMHO a non-retina is a better option right now, but for those plunking down the cash for the Retina (especially the higher end retina) might as well get all that you think you'll need since there is no turning back later.
I keep forgetting it's not up-gradable.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmacattack View Post
I keep forgetting it's not up-gradable.
Yeah, if it was upgradeable, I'd definitely agree to get the 8 (or even the 4 since usually after market memory upgrades are cheaper then what apple offers). Kind of a buzzkill but it's Apples technology so they can do with it whatever they want and people will either buy it in droves (see the 3-4 week wait time for retina on the website) or buy the upgradeable model (like I have )

@scott_: I hope the retina model serves you well. We all have to ultimately purchase what is in our best interest. If having the retina version is what satisfies you then you have made the right choice for your own needs otherwise you'd have buyers remorse for all time.

QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

I wonder if they'll get enough complaints by the next generation to switch back to modular RAM
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

I am enjoying the retina. It's the base model. Only wish I would of got 16gb ram but I'm ok with it since I was able to get this at the store instead of waiting over a month. (and prob don't need that much ram) Also I got it for 1799 plus tax so I'm very happy with it. Upgraded from my 13mbp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« changing RAM from 1600mhz to 1066mhz | network accounts are unavailable »