New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

my new MBP retina

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

giantsfan119

giantsfan119 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. So first off im a kid going to college next year and I just purchased the new MBP retina. I know a good ammount about computers and this is not my first mac. I need three things.

1) I need a back up hard drive. I want it to be around 500gb. I'm broke after the $2200 computer, so cheap is good. USB 2.0 is okay but 3.0 or thunderbolt would be good if its affordable. So basically im just looking for a drive thats easy to use and mac compatable.

2) I will probably need to use ethernet in my dorm so I will most likely but the converter. Are there any 3rd party ones that are less then apple?

3) Since I believe that many proffesors willl require us to install software im looking for a external USB drive. I'd rather not pay the hefty price of apple's. I would liek one that does the same thing and only reqires one USB port.

Links would be great, but any response is greatly apprechiated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
giantsfan119

And I'm going to say sorry in advance for any grammar/spelling errors.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

1 - What is your budget? I personally like the Seagate Goflex Drives. They come with USB 3.0 but you can buy connectors to convert them to anything. I bought a firewire connector. I also bought a thunderbolt connector - but that wasn't cheap. The thunderbolt adapater is $99 plus you need to buy a thunderbolt cable which is $50 from Apple. I bought a shorter one for $60 (go figure) from elgato
Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAA500100 (Black): Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-1-6-Fee...to+thunderbolt
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-GoFlex...ex+thunderbolt

2 - There are some 3rd party usb adapters but I don't know if they are any cheaper
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...b+ethernet+mac

3 - are you talking a time machine drive with time capsule? You don't need time capsule and to be honest you could use the seagate goflex drives for backup as well. You generally want a dedicated drive if you can afford it as it will fill up quickly with backups.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

1. Western Digitals My Book Series is popular with people on budgets.
Amazon.com: Western Digital My Passport 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - WDBKXH5000ABL-NESN (Blue): Electronics

2. Hmm, unless your campus has banned setting up a wireless access point… IvanLasston's link has some. Beware that some may need drivers in order to work. And from my experience with a USB wifi card, getting the drivers to work is a game of luck.

3. Something like this, http://www.amazon.com/Asus-External-.../dp/B003YT578O
That one has the most positive reviews of the ones I looked at. It may not look to great but for that 1 CD you need to read once a month it'll do fine

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
giantsfan119

Thanks for your reply.

1) Yeah those seem to be around a hundered. I like it less then that but if thats the best price i can find ill go for it. Thanks for the reccomendation.

3) I'm looking for a external CD drive like the Apple USB super drive, i just think that is over priced. So i wanted to see if there was a better option
QUOTE Thanks
giantsfan119

Yeah i probably only will need on CD a month. Do you know if that drive is compatabe with the MAC?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

It should be, I found the link to it on a forum where someone wanted a DVD reader for his Mac Mini.
Also one review on amazon.
Quote:
I used this on my 1st Gen MacBook Air running OSX Snow Leopard, IBM x-31 laptop running Ubuntu 10, Desktop PC running Windows 7, and my Acer Revo Aspire Nettop PC running Windows 7. With all computers, the Asus drive fired up immediately (plug-and-play) with no drivers to load, or any hassle. Works great on all the platforms/machines I tested with just the single USB plug. Reads and plays DVD's just fine (I used VLC Media Player on the Mac and Ubuntu), though I have not tried burning disks yet.
And, http://www.amazon.com/Will-this-work...sin=B003YT578O

Darn it I'm envious, lucky you

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am very partial to Western Digital drives. Do know this though, there is no such thing as a Mac compatible drive no matter what the box says. I always buy just normal PC drives. The ones with Mac on the box are way more $$$.

I am not a fan of USB with networking. If you can, get the Apple one as I believe that plugs into the Thunderbolt port. Yes I know USB 3 is a lot faster than 2 but it still has some issues USB has always had. Up to you but if you get the Apple dongle, you know it will for sure work.

You can get pretty much any external DVD drive but on Optical drives, be sure they will work with OSX. My friend has a Plextor USB external DVD R/W and loves it.

http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-8X-DVD...nal+dvd+burner
QUOTE Thanks
giantsfan119

okay I think ill get the thunderbolt convertor from apple and the Asus drive. Thanks for the responses.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am sure that Asus drive is fine. They make good products.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Sorry OP - I misread #3 - You meant a USB Optical Drive. Honestly there are very few programs that require a Optical drive. Maybe installing Windows (but there are several sites that say you can do it with a USB key)

I use WD drives as well and I haven't had any problems with them. I like the goflex because of the ability to change the interface. The goflex also comes with paragon ntfs drivers. It only works with seagate drives but you can keep the drive formatted ntfs so it can be used with Windows machines as well.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I recently bought a OWC external drive. Mercury Elite - All Pro. 500 gb. I wanted to use firewire 800 this drive comes with all the cables. I think it came with firewire 800, 400, usb 2 & 3. Also includes CCC software. When you add all you get with this kit it is a good value. I might add it works well with my MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Huh, I just found a really nice solution for new Retina MBP/Mac Mini owners looking for a backup HD and a DVD reader… probably going to be pricy though
Newer Technology® : Storage : miniStack® MAX™

QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

macmacattack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I am sure that Asus drive is fine. They make good products.
The drive itself isn't be produced by Asus
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I am well aware of that. Thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Partition from HDD to SSD? | Recovering MacBook Pro from Time Machine Back Up »