New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

mbp 15 non retina (help!)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scott_

Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. i just bought a new mbp 15 non retina. with these specs

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (7 hours)2
hi rest AG

my plan was to down the road update the hdd to a SDD.

I just got my mbp after waiting for it to be customized.

I was just informed by apple if I upgrade my ram or install a hard drive it will VOID the WARRANTY.

the whole reason i went with the NON RETINA was i could upgrade and so i can but not without voiding my warranty. i spend over 2300 I would rather not void warranty.

any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

macmacattack is on a distinguished road

One of the only ways to do it would be to have apple do the upgrade for you right?
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

I guess so. Will cost me extra $400 with apple. ($200 through crucial etc) I was told by people on this forum I could just install the SSD no one explained it will void my warranty! My bad for not checking with apple first
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I was just informed by apple if I upgrade my ram or install a hard drive it will VOID the WARRANTY.
Would you please tell us who at Apple told you that? I question this because it has not been Apple's policy to void the warranty when user upgradeable items are involved. Of course if you screw something up when doing the upgrade that means you pay for the repairs.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Would you please tell us who at Apple told you that? I question this because it has not been Apple's policy to void the warranty when user upgradeable items are involved. Of course if you screw something up when doing the upgrade that means you pay for the repairs.

I called apple 800 number. Called 2 apple stores. If this isn't the case I'd be so happy. However 3 apple guys told me it voids warranty and they can upgrade ram but not upgrade hard drives.

P.S will SSD make huge diff for me? Doing like photography some gaming?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Someone is not giving out correct information, either that or they're misunderstanding which Mac you have. I fully agree that if you were referring to the new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina, then you could not be expected to upgrade either the memory (soldered in) or the flash hard drive (proprietary). Doing either one would definitely void your warranty.

However, if you have a standard MacBook Pro, the hard drive and memory are easy user upgrades and have been since around 2008. Replacing either one yourself should not void your warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Someone is not giving out correct information, either that or they're misunderstanding which Mac you have. I fully agree that if you were referring to the new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina, then you could not be expected to upgrade either the memory (soldered in) or the flash hard drive (proprietary). Doing either one would definitely void your warranty.

However, if you have a standard MacBook Pro, the hard drive and memory are easy user upgrades and have been since around 2008. Replacing either one yourself should not void your warranty.
Did that policy change for the normal MBP when the retina came out?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Did that policy change for the normal MBP when the retina came out?
Note that Apple can change their policy any time they wish. However, I haven't heard anything about them having a new policy toward DIY upgrades such as memory and hard drives.

If they have made a change to the way they honor their warranty, I would like to see it in writing.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

From what I have observed if it doesn't void the warranty they usually have the step by step guide in the User Manual one how to replace the HD or RAM.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

Not sure about the warranty rules. Could you not keep the old memory and HD and swap them back in if needed?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

The ram and hdd on non retina mbp should be upgraded, period.
With your 14 day return policy, take your mbp to an apple store
and ask them right on the spot, if you cannot diy on ram and hd,
return it as simple as that.
V6Pony and mcyukon I agreed with your observation.
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I don't know who at Apple told you this, but they are wrong. I used to work tech support and executive relations at Apple so I am familiar with consumer protection laws. An exception would be if the RAM is faulty and overheats the logic board: that is not a factory defect and would not be covered. Of course, as mentioned above, if you break something while fiddling with the insides of your computer you are on your own. However, adding RAM and changing the hard drive is simple in the non-Retina MBPs so you would have to be pretty clumsy to break anything.

Warranty - English

If you are still worried after reading the warranty ask Apple's legal department:

Apple - Legal - Contact

Laws vary from state to state, but generally replacing the RAM and/or HD will not void your warranty under consumer protection laws.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
The ram and hdd on non retina mbp should be upgraded, period.
With your 14 day return policy, take your mbp to an apple store
and ask them right on the spot, if you cannot diy on ram and hd,
return it as simple as that.
V6Pony and mcyukon I agreed with your observation.
I took it back and replaced it for a mbp 15 retina on the spot. I'm very happy so far with it. I was a little unsure before.
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
I took it back and replaced it for a mbp 15 retina on the spot. I'm very happy so far with it. I was a little unsure before.
So what are the specs of the retina you got.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you ask them about upgrading the Non Retina? I see nothing that says you can not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Closed Macbook Pro display remains active when using external monitor | replaced fan not working either on macbook 13 2006 »