New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What is the best SSD for a Macbook?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
MarcSense

 
Member Since: Jun 22, 2012
Posts: 1
MarcSense is on a distinguished road

MarcSense is offline
I've heard the Sandisk Extreme is pretty good. Anybody have great experiences with others?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 742
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSense View Post
I've heard the Sandisk Extreme is pretty good. Anybody have great experiences with others?
For the best go with OWC macsales.com
top category is samsung, intel, crucial
QUOTE Thanks
SoulRed12

 
Member Since: Mar 04, 2010
Posts: 49
SoulRed12 is on a distinguished road

SoulRed12 is offline
I literally just installed a Crucial 256GB SSD from Amazon into my brand new 2012 MacBook Pro, and it works amazingly. Highly recommended.
QUOTE Thanks
scottmcp432

 
scottmcp432's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Midland Texas
Posts: 113
scottmcp432 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7

scottmcp432 is offline
Crucial M4 is one of, if not the most reliable, SSD's available. Avoid SSD's that use the Sandforce controller. Some older SSD's with the Sandforce controller have had serious issues reported. I purchased an OCZ Vertex 3(Sandforce) for the OS in my gaming build and was fortunate that it came with updated firmware which is supposed to avoid the problems inherent with the older firmware. Newer SSD's use the Marvell controller and that is what you should look for in whatever you go with. Some new SSD's are using a new controller (I forget the name) but I cannot recommend what to me is unproven tech for an OS drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
Someone on here said SSD's are hard to erase data. Is that true?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

 
Member Since: Feb 25, 2009
Posts: 2,102
Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Nethfel is online now
For erasing difficulty see : PSA: SSDs Are Difficult To Securely Erase (Update: Well, They Can Be) | TechCrunch . There are other articles on the matter as well, the issue is old technology doesn't work so well for wiping ssd. There are some new software and techniques available but to me still safer to keep rather then give out
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
For erasing difficulty see : PSA: SSDs Are Difficult To Securely Erase (Update: Well, They Can Be) | TechCrunch . There are other articles on the matter as well, the issue is old technology doesn't work so well for wiping ssd. There are some new software and techniques available but to me still safer to keep rather then give out
So it's not easy to erase? And you won't tell us how?? Makes me think SSD is not the way to go
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

 
Member Since: Feb 25, 2009
Posts: 2,102
Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Nethfel is online now
"I won't tell us how?"

It's not a matter of "I" it's a matter of there are several articles on different techniques, but I haven't tested to see how well those techniques work. My current solution that I feel most comfortable with is to not release used SSD devices (this includes thumb drives, SD Cards, etc.) - With the prices of things falling, I don't really see an issue with this myself (I can always find another use for the drives). But, don't make any mistake - I didn't write that article and I have nothing to do with TechCrunch or any of the other groups that have tested SSD erasing, I am only bringing the information.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,498
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
So it's not easy to erase? And you won't tell us how?? Makes me think SSD is not the way to go
I think your reaction is a bit extreme. If you don't intend to sell the drive to someone else, then you haven't much to worry about. I can guarantee you that I'd find lots of simple ways to render the drive useless if I needed to dispose of it - most of which involve a hammer - and I'm quite certain nothing would be extracted from it.

But if you're buying it to use it yourself, then be aware that you can erase it to your heart's content - what the article is concerned with is forensic retrieval of data that was thought to have been removed. So yeah, if you're expecting a government agency to kick in your door at any moment and do analysis on your computers, then it may be a concern - but frankly, it would be of concern on a normal HDD too.

It takes time and deliberate focus to securely erase data in a way that keeps it from being forensically extracted - and that's true of any storage medium.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Scott_

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2012
Posts: 40
Scott_ is on a distinguished road

Scott_ is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I think your reaction is a bit extreme. If you don't intend to sell the drive to someone else, then you haven't much to worry about. I can guarantee you that I'd find lots of simple ways to render the drive useless if I needed to dispose of it - most of which involve a hammer - and I'm quite certain nothing would be extracted from it.

But if you're buying it to use it yourself, then be aware that you can erase it to your heart's content - what the article is concerned with is forensic retrieval of data that was thought to have been removed. So yeah, if you're expecting a government agency to kick in your door at any moment and do analysis on your computers, then it may be a concern - but frankly, it would be of concern on a normal HDD too.

It takes time and deliberate focus to securely erase data in a way that keeps it from being forensically extracted - and that's true of any storage medium.
Here's my concern..

People who purchased the retina or other computer with SSD. Plan to keep for few years, then sell and get the best next thing. I think they would be worried the person they sold it could find their personal info on the SSD
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,498
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
Here's my concern..

People who purchased the retina or other computer with SSD. Plan to keep for few years, then sell and get the best next thing. I think they would be worried the person they sold it could find their personal info on the SSD
That's a good point - and one I hadn't thought of. That's yet another reason why proprietary, and permanently affixed storage solutions in computers could be a very bad thing indeed.

I think I'll be sticking with notebook models where I can easily interchange the storage device.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Macbook pro needs a boost | Changing Macbook Pro HDD to SSD? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Kingston V200 SSD in Late-2007 MacBook gives Rainbow Pinwheel? B7149339 Apple Notebooks 3 04-08-2012 06:58 PM
Install a samsung 830 SSD in my macbook pro 2011. Joeyvegt Apple Notebooks 4 04-01-2012 12:37 PM
Which SSD should I buy to upgrade my 13" late 2008 Macbook Aluminum? xlzhsteven Apple Notebooks 3 07-13-2011 08:19 AM
Can some one recommend me a good ssd drive for macbook pro 13in MrKay Apple Notebooks 6 12-20-2010 09:59 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?