Thread: LCD vs LED?

LCD vs LED?
    My friend cracked my macbook screen a few months ago, and as devastated as I was I figured I'd just deal with it until I get a new one for college. But over time the little dot/crack has manifested itself in these black splotches and rainbow pixels covering my screen and its become impossible to ignore. Lucky for me I have an experienced apple repair technician as a family friend replacing it for free However I have to supply the actual screen.

So what I'm confused about is what kind of screen I should purchase as a replacement. The specifications for my Macbook (Late 2009) say I have a 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display. However when I look up LED screens to purchase for my computer all I find are LCD screens. Is there something Im missing here? hahaha

Im a 17 year old girl so I'm not really sure what to do here so if any one could give me some insight or explain the differences between the two that'd be really helpful

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    LCD screens or displays have to be lighted or they'll remain dark. Your MacBook uses a LCD which is lighted by LEDs. The older models (2008 and earlier) use a fluorescent tube to light the screen. Be sure that you purchase the exact replacement screen for your MacBook. When you order the display, have your model number and serial number handy and buy it from an authorized Apple dealer. Stay away from cheap knock offs.

Just be glad the fluorescent tubes are gone, I've seen way too many break during screen replacements.

Thread Information