Identifying iBook OS

Identifying iBook OS
    We received a donated ibook which appears operational. Before we can pass this on to a student, I need to remove all information, etc that refers to the former owner and reinstall software. I saw references to Tiger, Panther, etc. How do I know what is on or would be accepted by the iBook we want to renovate? Is there a "best" source for the software? I need to ascertain whether such a purchase is worth while and have no idea of the cost involved. thanks for any help available. I do know the laptop has 1.5G Ram and if I remember correctly, was an 10.2 version OS

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    Firstly, go here and work out exactly which iBook it is and post back.

Then we'll be able to work out your options.

PS Welcome to the forums
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Identifying iBook OS

The information needed has almost completely been removed from wear or on purpose. All I can find is if I choose about this ibook, is Mac OS X, bersion 10.5.8 processor 1.5 GB

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    Ok, try here iBook: How to Identify iBook Models

Also if you can post any info found by clicking the Apple logo top left and choosing About this Mac
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    That is not the processor, that is the RAM. If the RAM is 1.5GB then it has to be that last generation iBook G4. It was the only one that came with 512MB Ram soldered in and a slot that would take 1GB RAM.

On that same About this Mac it should list the CPU like a G4 1.33Ghz.

With that RAM spec you provided, I am sure this is your iBook.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ibooks/12in...-1.33-ghz.html

Identifying iBook OS

Thanks so much. Now I need to know if it makes a difference what OS is used for reinstall. I see the descriptions Tiger, Leopard, etc and have no idea what that indicates. Is there a best place to price out the reinstall software? Like all non profit volunteer groups, we need to weigh cost against benefits. If it would be too expensive for us to make legit, is there a market for parts from these laptops? Hope I'm not asking too much.

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by SBernheim View Post
    Thanks so much. Now I need to know if it makes a difference what OS is used for reinstall. I see the descriptions Tiger, Leopard, etc and have no idea what that indicates. Is there a best place to price out the reinstall software? Like all non profit volunteer groups, we need to weigh cost against benefits. If it would be too expensive for us to make legit, is there a market for parts from these laptops? Hope I'm not asking too much.
    If cost is an issue...then you might be better off walking away from this computer. This computer model is from about 2005 (so 7 years old).

If this computer already has OS 10.5.8 on it...that's the newest OS it can run. If you erase the HD...and need to reinstall the OS...then you will need an OS 10.5 install disk...which will cost you at least $80-$100 on e-Bay.

Since this computer is 7 years old, it's a laptop which is usually slower than a desktop, and since OS 10.5.8 is a few years old as well...the performance of this computer may not be a "snappy" as someone may like.

On the plus side...it's certainly better than no computer at all...and it will probably do most internet surfing & e-mail ok.

If you were a computer hobbyist...the $$$ may not be a big deal. But since you're a non-profit...the $$$ may or may not make sense.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Nick is correct, since that is a Power PC Mac, 10.5.8 Leopard is the newest and with 1.5GB Ram it would run ok, but you are eventually going to hit a wall with that as no more support at all.

Identifying iBook OS

Again thanks, that gives up a few parameters to consider. For now we won't assign the laptop, and leave it at the center. Who knows if miracles happen, the next item in the drop box would be software. Odd thing about that laptop, speaking as someone who doesn't speak MAC anything, is the failure to keep time typical? I know our Windows pcs that need a new battery have had that problem, but in a laptop, I wouldn't think there was a replaceable CMOS battery. Resetting the time, it will have lost its memory, the next time it is turned on.

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    That iBook does not use a CMOS battery (most do) but uses the main battery and a capacitor to keep the settings in the PRAM. The Power PC Macs used Open Firmware called PRAM. New Intel Macs use EFI Firmware. No Bios on a Mac BTW.

Identifying iBook OS

Would that indicate replacing the battery only would fix the time/date issue or does it indicate a problem also with the "capacitor"?

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by SBernheim View Post
    Would that indicate replacing the battery only would fix the time/date issue or does it indicate a problem also with the "capacitor"?
    As long as the battery doesn't go dead, the iBook should keep the time. If your battery is no longer taking a charge, any time you take it off the charger the date resets.
    -Evan

Identifying iBook OS
    Specs:
    The capacitor does not keep it long. It's supposed to be just enough to allow you to change the battery. If it's out of there say 5-10 minutes (a guess as it's been a while since I tried it) you will loose the settings.

Thread Information