New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2012 Macbook Pro with retina display won't recognize my External Hard drive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mick350

Mick350 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 Macbook Pro's, a 2009 and this brand new one I got today. My external hard drive is a 1 TB click free. It has worked for months on my old Mac but when I plug it into my new mac it doesn't even show up in finder or disk utility. I tried the USB ports with another device and they work fine. So it isn't a hard ware issue.
Can someone offer me help onto how I can get my Mac to recognize it?
QUOTE Thanks
SoulRed12

SoulRed12 is on a distinguished road

It might be formatted for Windows only, i.e. NTFS. Either connect it to a Windows computer and reformat it as FAT32 (and then connect it to your mac and reformat it again as HFS+ Journaled) or download an app for your mac to let it recognize the external drive. Like this one (don't know if it will actually work, it's just what a quick google search turned up)

EDIT: Just saw you said it works with your other Macs. Could they already have software like the above installed?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

did you run software update on your new mbp ? the goal is to keep the software as current as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Mick350

I did update my mbp as soon as I booted it up. It is fully up to date. I tried calling apple tech support and they don't know what the problem is either because it isn't a hardware issue.
I am trying to find a firmware upgrade for it but I am starting to think the only way this will work is if I reformat the external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

maybe take it to a apple store and show them the problem. bring your external drive along though.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A quick question. The new Macbook is all USB 3.0. What drive do you have, brand and Model? I know USB 3 is all supposed to be backward compatible, but who knows! If I have the info on your drive will see what I can find.
QUOTE Thanks
Mick350

Yeah I am thinking I will take it in to them later this week, I feel like they will say the same thing; that I should reformat it and try again.
The External hard drive is a clickfree model # HD2037N3
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

OSX out of the box reads NTFS perfectly. It just won't write to NTFS without either a hack or after market apps.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I believe Dennis is correct. Some USB 2.0 drives are simply not compatible with USB 3 regardless of the "backward" compatibility as stated. The problem is the speed of the USB 3.0 port being many times faster than USB 2.0 (and even firewire).
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

according to the model number provided the drive is USB 3.0

Clickfree C2N 2 Terabytes (2TB) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3.5" Clickfree HD2037N3 Clickfree C2N

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

macmacattack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
according to the model number provided the drive is USB 3.0

Clickfree C2N 2 Terabytes (2TB) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3.5" Clickfree HD2037N3 Clickfree C2N
So uhh, is it plugged in?
QUOTE Thanks
Mick350

Yes it is plugged in, I have both macs beside each other, I can eject it from my old mac and go to put it in this one and I get no response at all from it. I even tried to send the "Clickfree" application to the new mac via air drop and it still doesn't recognize it.
QUOTE Thanks
Mick350

Also, I asked on another site and got this reply:
"I am having the EXACT same problem and I can't seem to find an answer to this. I'm using a 1tb external and it works fine on all my other computers but I can't get it to work with my new macbook pro with retina display. I'm really hoping someone can figure this out."
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Are you sure the particular model he has is USB 3.0? Note he has the 1 TB model not the 2 TB or 3 TB which are in fact USB 3.0. The web site also states that the C2N is USB 2.0 only.
QUOTE Thanks
Mick350

I am 100% positive, it says "USB 3.0" right on the cable
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mid-2010 MacBook Pro won't turn on/start | 17" Mac Book Pro Issue »