New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook Airport drops connection+connection timeout+no networks found

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

funkybunk

funkybunk is on a distinguished road

I recently acquired an ibook that has airport issues. These mainly involve dropping connections on any network it is connected to (I have tried three so far) after about 5-20 minutes of being connected. It can then take 5 minutes to half an hour to get the airport to find any networks, even when I force a restart to try to get it to scan. Every once in a while, I will find a wireless network, but then not be able to connect to it due to a connection timeout issue. This has only happened twice so far today, while the rest of the issues have happened dozens of times. Considering that it occurs to multiple networks, it leads me to believe the issue lies with the software, considering it is still recognized and is able to be used periodically rules out (to me) it being a hardware issue.

On one of the networks I was on, I even had another iBook G4 able to connect and use it fine. Granted, it was on Panther 10.3.9

I tried a software update and there were none available.
My specs are:
OS X 10.5.8 Leopard
1.5GB RAM
60GB hard drive, 47GB Free
12" model
Everything else works fine on the iBook, I can connect it to ethernet with no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

The intermittent drop-outs on any network and everything good on ethernet would point to a faulty wireless card to me. This would explain how to replace it if you go down that route:
iBook: Installing or Replacing the AirPort Card

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook pro question... | Macbook pro users help? »