New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Changing battery on MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

foreverandalway

foreverandalway is on a distinguished road

My MBP is saying I need a battery change soon. I got it in 2009 and my warranty is up in a month or so. Will this be covered under warranty?

If not would it be easy to change it myself?[If I can easily do it, and for cheaper than the mac store I'd love to do it]
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You don't say which specific MBP, but checkout iFixIt's teardown of the 2009 13" MBP and see if that's something you want to do.

Not sure if the Apple warranty covers battery, my guess is no, but I honestly don't know..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
foreverandalway

foreverandalway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
You don't say which specific MBP, but checkout iFixIt's teardown of the 2009 13" MBP and see if that's something you want to do.

Not sure if the Apple warranty covers battery, my guess is no, but I honestly don't know..
Oh it's a 15 inch.

I did a quick google search and there wasn't much info on it, but what I saw said it wasn't covered. Although I thought it covered everything but damage you did yourself. Which the battery issue isn't caused by me.

Edit: I checked out the site and it seems easy enough. All I have to do it un do two screws right?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

does not hurt to take it to apple store check it out, see what they have to say.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverandalway View Post
Oh it's a 15 inch.
The more important model info would be whether it has a "user replaceable battery"...or the technically (found on newer models) "non-user replaceable battery".

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverandalway View Post
I did a quick google search and there wasn't much info on it, but what I saw said it wasn't covered. Although I thought it covered everything but damage you did yourself. Which the battery issue isn't caused by me.
Applecare covers manufacturing defects only. Following the strict warranty details...the battery is a "consumable"...and not covered under Applecare...UNLESS...it can be shown that a manufacturing defect exists.

Not to say folks haven't been lucky to get a new battery (during the Applecare coverage period)...I have been a lucky person myself in that respect. But someone SHOULD NOT expect a free replacement battery with Applecare (without a manufacturing defect).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 13 early 2011 running really slowly. Fans running high and temps high. | Help me choose best 2012 Mac »